1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have come to hate my thr22

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ragmopp, Jun 22, 2013.

1. ragmopp

ragmopp New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    I guess the title says it all. I have had Tivo's since D* took them on. Never, repeat, never had any problems with them. I waited, and waited, to get the HD Tivo and last year I finally got it.
    What a disappointment. I have had all the problems mentioned in this forum at one time or another. I am sick of it.

So...what to do? I am wondering about the HR44 if I could get it. Now I have one and only one tv in my house, and no plans to change that. Would the HR44 be overkill? What other unit should I try to get if that is the case?
    And lastly I do have the lifetime DVR service so what extra fees for the HR44would I incur if that unit would be practical?

Thanks for any suggestions...

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The HR34/44 Genie is a whole-home DVR, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get one for a standalone application. Whole-home incurs a $3/mo fee.

There would be no difference in cost for you with lifetime service. The $5 TiVo fee would not obviously apply if you have a D* receiver.

You would probably get an HR24, which is the latest standalone DVR at the moment.

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I retired and finally sold on eBay an HR21 and an HR23 and two AM21's. I cried when DirecTV was unable to hit the birds from my balcony. I loved my DorecTV HD DVR's. Granted when I upgraded the first of two DirecTiVo SD-DVR's the HR21 was a mess. I had a lot of issues over a couple of years they worked out the bugs. I was a whole home beta tester for DirecTV when I added an HR23. The really neat thing was the now showing list was combined showing programs on both in a single list w/o having to scroll over to the other DVR. Whole home with the HRxx DVR's has always been streaming. The only issue was that the eSata port didn't extend the internal drive it replaced it, this was frustrating as previously recorded programs were not available until you removed the external drive. DirecTV charges one DVR fee, one small whole home fee and the extra receiver fee. I would with any advanced box also get the protection plan, I had to have my dish realigned once because of a tree limb tossed in a storm; COVERED!

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There's no problem getting a Genie as your only DVR. You may have to pay the higher lease fee, though, I have both the HR44 and THR22 (the THR22 can't do whole home and I am not charged the WH fee.

Steve

5. DrSandman

DrSandman New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Hi Everyone !!
    I've had my THR22 for about a 1 1/2 year now, and although I'm pretty happy with it, I'm intrigued by the Genie. I would love to have Whole Home, more disc space, and the ability to record more than 2 shows at once. I'm constantly seeing ads for upgrading to the Genie, but when I call DirecTV, they tell me I'd have to pay $299.00 and an installation fee for it. Maybe this "upgrade" is only for new customers. Do any of you have any experience with going from the TiVo to the Genie, and if so, is there a way around paying the $299.00 + the installation fee ? Also, are you happier with the Genie as opposed to the THR22 ? Thanks in advance !! Cheers !!

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you recently got the THR22, DirecTV isn't going to give you a free upgrade so soon. I actually paid even more than that, though I did a self-install. Note that if you order from DirecTV, you might get the older HR34 as a Genie.

Personally, I like the HR44 (the Genie model I got). It is VERY fast and has lots of features. But the TiVo UI is still better. Note that you would not get "whole home" without a second compatible DVR or client, but the 5 tuners are very nice indeed.

7. DrSandman

DrSandman New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Thanks for the info, Steve !! I'll probably stick to the TiVo since I do prefer the UI. Cheers !!