1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Have a Tivo HD DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RusRus, May 30, 2013.

1. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    If I do have a failed power supply how will a electronics repair person know which or what capacitor(s) to replace?

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The capacitors will be bulging or leaking.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not necessarily.
    An electronics repair person would be able to test the capacitors.

4. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You are exactly correct.

At the same time, if a capacitor is bulging but testing out okay so far it should be replaced. In theory the electronics repair person with the appropriate equipment should be able to detect capacitors that are going bad but visually Ok. The DIY bunch tend to just replace the visually bad capacitors and get a good outcome. If you have a good shop you should be in good shape as they should replace the visually bad capacitors and the ones that test bad but visually look good.

5. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Replace them all

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What part of the country are you in?

7. chazas

chazas Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I just had mine fixed by a local shop that did just that. $50 and I didn't have to spend my time learning how to solder. I'm ok with that.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    General note,
    if you find even a few caps with capacitor plague it's worth replacing all of the similar caps at the same time.

There's a very useful tip from my time with hundreds of dead Dell GX270 motherboards, pay attention to the brands of the capacitors, you don't have to actually look that hard or get the actual brand name, but look at the tops, different manufacturers will use different stamping patterns on the top, replace any that have the same embossing as the failed units.

I'm looking at a dead HP power supply now, I have caps with a + on top, caps with a K on top, and caps with an * on top, 5 out of 7 of the asterisk caps are bulging, you can bet I'm replacing all 7.

9. Jun 2, 2013 #9 of 13
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    San Diego, CA

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Nearest person that I know of (Scott, of lcdalternatives.com) is about 150 miles away in Stevenson Ranch, but San Diego should have at least one good repair shop--it seems to have at least two good vintage audio repair places, so there should be several good non-specialty shops that already know about capacitor plague in power supplies.

11. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Considering the labour to replace the caps will be WAY more expensive than the caps themselves, replace them all generally is the easiest solution. Even if you go for the primo quality caps.

Though if you want to test them, an in-circuit ESR tester will immediately tell you which ones are bad. (It's the only way to test them in-circuit otherwise if you're going to remove them, you might as well replace them).

12. jfiberoptic

jfiberoptic New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    China
    The repair man will test it, dont worry about that

13. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I had a Series 3 OLED (lifetime) with a bulging cap. A local repair shop basically charged me $17 to fix it. Got it back and all has been working good.

Of course, I now have ANOTHER (lifetime) series 3 OLED with a bulging cap and is caught in a reboot loop so I have to do this again. Oh well & it STILL beats paying Comcrap for one of their crappy DVR boxes ($15-20/month). :cool: