1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate DirecTV Blog

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cwilson336, Sep 13, 2006.

1. cwilson336

cwilson336 New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Please don't see this as spamming, and I'm not sure I'm really doing the right thing here. I recently have had a bad experience with DirecTV. Bad enough that after 10 years of service, I have chosen to cancel and switch back to stand-alone TiVo's and cable service. In addition, I have started a blog that I would like to eventually become a repository for DirecTV complaints and discontent.

The blog is a Blogger blog with the prefix being IhateDirectTV. I can't give everyone the link because this is my first post, and I'm not able to post links yet.

While this is my first post, but I have been using this site for years to access reliable and candid feedback on TiVo and the products that are available. This isn't just a matter of the Tivo / R-15 fiasco, my experience went much farther than that. However, it does all root in what I consider one of the dumbest and least customer concerning corporate decisions made in recent years.

With that being said I don't want this thread to just become another tirade on that, but rather just encourage anyone of interest to view my blog and input any comments.

Thanks,
    Cwilson

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I was intrested in what you where blogging...

But when I go to blogger.com and do a search for IhateDirecTV... it finds one entry.
    Which returns me back to this thread....

3. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
  4. cwilson336

cwilson336 New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Just put ihatedirectv with blogspot then com. Still working on more material, but the letter to DirecTV is posted (very long) along with an executive summary.

Thanks for your interest.

5. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I completely understand the frustration over the $200 charge, but it appears the total root of the problem was the fact that DTV is moving away from Tivo. I do not like the decision either, but it seems that you went a little overboard in my opinion. DTV made a strategic decision to move away from the proven technology of Tivo to use their own in-house DVR software. This is a move that is being forced on all of us. It appears to me that you were going to quit DTV eventually once they forced all subscribers off of the Tivo units.

The blog is a good way to vent your frustration though. I would not expect a massive legion of followers to start lining up behind you though. Once again, just my opinion.

6. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
  7. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    So I read throught that very long and detailed email.

As for your dealings with the DirecTV customer support.
    Sadly, your story is not uncommon from others as well... There has been for years a disconnect between the different areas of DirecTV... for what ever reason.

And what is even worse.... is your experience is not issolated to DirecTV.

Pretty much you can find your same experience with every major customer service based company out there. Microsoft, Dell, TMobile, Verizon, Comcast, TimeWarner, Dish Network, and so on.......

It is terrible that you had the experience that you did... no question about it.
    And yes, something does need to change and be corrected so the chances of what happened to you are drastically reduced or eliminated...

-----------

I have one question for you though....
    How long did you have the Philips DTivo, and did you have the protection plan on the unit?

8. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Whew. Long email . Wonder what the chances are anyone at directv read it.

9. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Man I got so peeved at Directv once. I tried to contact them for more than a week, calling at various times of the day.

Each time, after navigating through the menu, I eventually was told they were too busy to handle my call and please call back later <click>. Not even an option to wait in a queue. I was only able to get through by calling from the neighbor's house where it didn't recognize the phone number and thought I might be a new customer. Horrible service... it doesn't get any worse.

Or so I thought. A year with Adelphia convinced me otherwise.

10. cwilson336

cwilson336 New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I had it for a little over 18 months. Unfortunately, I did not have a protection plan on the unit. The problem is easily repairable.

11. cwilson336

cwilson336 New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Within 3 hours of posting this thread and communicating to DirecTV the experience I had, I received calls from the President of DirecTV and the Senior Vice President of Customer Service. These calls were not from the offices of these individuals, but from the actual executives themselves.

While this probably shouldn't be as impressive as it is, rarely does a customer complaint warrant the attention and receive the prompt reply that mine did today.

The executives I spoke with today resolved all issues and have convinced me to remain as a loyal customer of DirecTV. While I'm still not enthusiastic about the conversion from TiVo to the new R-15, I do believe I am a customer of the best digital television service available. 10 years and counting.

I'll keep the blog up for at least the next few days, just for those that have seen my other postings up recently, and want to know the results.

12. dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    I for one am glad that you got a personalized calls. There are many customers out there, myself included, that are not only 10+ year customers, but loyal customers to the DirecTv/Tivo format. I am crossing my fingers that their DVR's fail misserably, and from everything that I have read about them, they seemed to be hard to manuver around and are frustrating to use. I know I will be weighing my options in the coming years when and if the agreement between DirecTv and Tivo ever expires. At this point, I am leaning to going to a standalone Tivo, but only time will tell.

13. scottt

scottt Macintosh Guru

Sep 6, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I didn't get a chance to read the inital post.

Can you post it here?

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    So Chase Cary (President and CEO of DirecTV) ?
    I can possible see The SVP of Customer Service, but Chase? There must have been something else in that letter you didn't post.

So what else did you ask him? As that is a gold opportunity there.

Glad you gotten things straighted out though.

15. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Good for DirecTV. :up:

16. dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    Would love to know some email addresses of some of the higher ups and DirecTv. If any one knows of any it would be greatly appreciated.

17. patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...
    cwilson336, I can find your blog but can't find the letter you wrote or any replys. Even registered but didn't help. Could you maybe post the letter here so many can see it?

18. cybrsrch

cybrsrch New Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I recently canceled my account at directv for several reasons, mostly directv was adding March Madness and NFL Sundat ticket to my account and charginging me for it, when I called in to canceled and advised them I didnt want any on my account was advised I would need to call back in when I was billed , because no way they could help me in advance. Icanceled my account and requested a refund to my debit card... sorry dtv doesnt do that , it will take 8 to 12 weeks to process my refund and a check will be mailed out... insance customer sevice, I will never have DTV again and if aanyone reading this has it, leave now, get something, amything else, dtv does not deserve to be in business. Dont believe the adds , its the worst customer service ever, and the picture quality is terrible, so much compresion that dark scenes are very pixilated, static and lines in the picture, its far from even good. A very unhappy customer.. still havent recieved my refund after 2 months, did get a bill saying I had a credit and no payment was due... how sweet

19. cybrsrch

cybrsrch New Member

Mar 17, 2007
    You sound liek a directv plant, I dont believe a word of it, because Ive had dtv for years also and the picture quality was terrible, what technical data do you base your findings on, are you an industry tech ? You have been fooled my friend, do a direct comparison between DTV and any dvd, no comparison, sorry dtv spy :)

20. cybrsrch

cybrsrch New Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Its nice to see when there is a blog that might shed some negitive light on a subject the directv employees get into the blog and talk about how great the service is, Ya I dont believe a word of it, I hate DTV and I mean it, they are worthless big corporation who only cares about your money, and nothing more, they always have and always will