1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found a Series 3 HD at Goodwill

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TheRatPatrol, May 19, 2013.

1. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    For $17.99! It just needs a power cord and a remote, but I can use my Harmony.

I did hook it up at the store using one of their generic power cords and an old tube TV with composite out and it seems like it works fine, sounds like both the fan and hard drive spin, the Tivo Central screen came up, and I was able to scroll through the menus.

Questions
    1. Is this unit still supported by Tivo, and will it continue to be supported in the future?
    2. Can I activate this unit, or will it be tied to someone else?
    3. Can I get a discounted lifetime service for it being an older unit?
    4. Is is even worth it to activate it? I figure I can use it to record local TV if anything.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its supported only up to the current 11.0k Tivo software, no updates but service can continue. You may get lifetime if its status is 1 and at the current lifetime rate, discount is applied in your tivo.com account as a secondary unit (499.99/399.99). Monthly is 12.95/9.95. If it was a Premiere, the monthly would be 14.99/12.99.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Well, it is supported in that you can use its functionality, receive guide data, channel updates, and ongoing service.

It should not receive software updates, but it is still "supported".

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    No primary firmware updates but it should receive whatever updates there are that include new remote codes. I even got one of those on my S2 box.