1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu Plus = SLOW

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Kneeoil, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kneeoil

Kneeoil New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Arvada, CO
    I got Hulu Plus activated this morning. Playback is very slow / jerky; even on the SD settings. My broadband at home averages 10 MBs, so is it the Hulu App / my Premiere box or the wireless TIVO mddem to blame? The wireless connection is strong (94%.)

Probably a little premature, but I canceled Comcast cable as we don't watch TV that often, but jerky videos won't work for us.

Thanks!

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    My money is on the wireless connection.

3. Kneeoil

Kneeoil New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Arvada, CO
    I just checked the internet speed on my laptop thorugh the same wireless connection and download speeds are in the 10.7 MBs range.

So the question is whether or not the Tivo Premiere / wireless adapter is just not able to communicate quickly, or if a new router would help. My wireless router is about 5 yrs old.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't think it is the Premiere per say. I have an HTPC connect to the same Onkyo receiver as my Premiere and Hulu+ buffers allot on the HTPC to maintain HD quality. When I use Hulu+ on the Premiere buffering, is not better or worse.

Thanks,

5. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    I'm curious if you have the slow/jerky playback with Netflix as well. I'm on an 8MB connection and have zero playback/streaming issues with either Hulu or Netflix.

You said you have an old G router as well right? You might want to pick up a newer N router. A decent Cisco or Netgear one won't cost you much these days. The extra range, speed and stability of wireless N should help you out.

6. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I have only had a few occasional issues with HULU usually I play the full HD feed no problem with a wirless N router and a 7 MBPS connection. If it does get a little flaky I lower the quality down to the lower HD speed or the SD speeds and it is fine. Are there other computers on in the house and if so are they doing anything to take away from your bandwith?

7. Kneeoil

Kneeoil New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Arvada, CO
    I don't access Netflix on the Premiere but use a Blu-Ray player and it seems to stream fine. But the router is very old, and the savings versus Comcast TV justifies a new router. They also said I could save $7/mo. if I bought my own cable modem, so might upgrade that as well.

Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.