1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu+ Now on AppleTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jmatero, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jmatero

jmatero New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Ok. NOW I may finally cut the cord...

Hulu Plus is now on AppleTV

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have a Tivo HD but will upgrade to Premiere when they release the Tivo Stream boxes. Other than Airplay mirroring, I dont see why having the Appple TV makes sense if the Premiere can do Netflix & Hulu which are the only two I would really use. Am I missing something?

3. jmatero

jmatero New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    It's individual for everybody.

For me, I only watch network tv, no sports. Only a couple HBO shows and it's cheaper to buy the season on iTunes for the 1-2 I watch.

I'm currently paying:
    $160/month in CA for Cable/Internet
    add to that, netflix... and two premiers per month.

I can get Internet from Cable co and local comes over the cord free... and then netflix/hulu plus for $50/month. That covers all of what I watch on TV.

I can see if somebody likes HBO, ESPN, and OTA HD keeping the TiVo for now though. But other than avoiding commercials, what reason do I have to give the Cable Co and Tivo $110+/month?

4. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why not get a Roku 2?

You'd be able to have Hulu+ as well as Amazon Prime.

Is stuff on iTunes superior or cheaper than Amazon Instant Video? And is it in HD and 5.1 surround like it is on the Roku 2?

5. Stevesreed

Stevesreed New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    I personally find the Netflix and Hulu+ interfaces to be more pleasant on the AppleTV than on the Roku.

I wish they added Amazon Prime Streaming, but they probably never will, since AmazonPrime is competing directly with iTunes.

iTunes movie rentals are 1080p and 5.1.

The Apple TV also does a nice job of streaming my music (either from my Mac, or directly from the cloud) and has AirPlay with is nice if you have an iPhone or iPad.

There is plenty of info here: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

6. Aug 1, 2012 #6 of 14
    dugbug

dugbug New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    as I understand it, the apple tv unifies all of the video providers under apple's GUI and common controls, rather than jumping into a different app with different remote controls, different design, etc.

I *HATE* this about tivo. Love the unified search in tivo but these flash apps need to DIE. I do not know how search works on apple TV, anybody have one?

If apple tv somehow got the ability to subscribe to IPTV or take a cable card, then I think I would jump off the tivo ship. But as it is now, cable is a large source of what I watch.

7. Aug 1, 2012 #7 of 14
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
  8. Aug 1, 2012 #8 of 14
    MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Amazon Prime was introduced on the iPad today.

9. Aug 3, 2012 #9 of 14
    jmatero

jmatero New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    The user interface on AppleTV is superior to the Ruku and I have iPhones, iPads, and Macs in my home so if I see something on any of them, I just hit play and pipe it to my tv screen via the AppleTV.

10. jmatero

jmatero New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Exactly. I'm watching hulu and netflix content on AppleTV... while the TiVo is still loading the hulu and netflix software. The iPhone and iPad remote app for AppleTV is also the same for everything. Controls for TiVo are different than netflix which is different than youtube.... etc.

Like most things Apple, everything works the same way. The interface doesn't get in the way. On my TiVo's, the interface is in the way of everything. Heck, the HD and SD interfaces haven't even been unified.

11. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Hulu+ on AppleTV is the best out there. Not just the layout but the navigation speed is better than any other device I've ever used.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even faster than the Roku2?

13. jmatero

jmatero New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Had a Ruku2.

YES.

14. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007

totally agree. the hulu+ apple tv might just make me pay for + once my free sub is up. its fast and more intuitive unlike the roku and tivo. I dont have a need for + since everything there i get ota and record anyway, the apple tv might be enough for me to keep it to discover new things not available on other platforms.

a thousand times faster.