1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu CEO Resigns

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by shwru980r, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1 of 20
    shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    http://blog.hulu.com/

2. Jan 7, 2013 #2 of 20
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Odd announcement timing, although maybe they figure all the CES news will bury the headline more :/

3. Jan 7, 2013 #3 of 20
    shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The number one priority for the next CEO is to open up the free HULU content to Google TV.

4. Jan 7, 2013 #4 of 20
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    "Open" is the problem. Not going to happen as long as the CableCos and networks are owners of Hulu.

With the consumers screaming while the bosses deny, deny, deny, he prolly resigned to save his sanity.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #5 of 20
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    How does that benefit Hulu at all? However, finally creating Hulu Plus for Google TV should happen sometime this year. Although, it will have little impact since Google TV has very little market share.

6. Jan 7, 2013 #6 of 20
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It was announced several days ago so I doubt it had anything to do with CES.

7. Jan 7, 2013 #7 of 20
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you are talking about the free version I am guessing he/she will not agree with you, it is a licensing issue.

If you are talking about Hulu+ then maybe, really depends on if any of the new Google TV devices start to sell. So far I would consider Google TV a pretty big flop (and I have the Logitech version) with an even smaller market than TiVo.

8. Jan 7, 2013 #8 of 20
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't know what the Google TV market is exactly, I believe Logitech, Sony, LG, Vizio and Hisense have combined for about 3 million units sold. Less than Roku and Apple TV but I believe bigger than the others. Amazon routinely has 3 Google TV boxes in its top 15 digital media players including a couple in the top 5.

I do not expect the free Hulu version to be offered for any of the streaming boxes, including Google TV but hopefully Google TV will finally get Hulu Plus. I have found the best solution for my household for Hulu on Google TV, recording using PlayLater to a USB drive and placing the drive in the Google TV USB input. The female head of the household thinks it works great and it is simple to do. DLNA servers aren't nearly as friendly for her or me for that matter but we do that also. Of course it is still the PC that receives Hulu, the only streaming media player licensed for the free Hulu. I understand that Hulu never got around to blocking Boxee but if it had amounted to anything before being abandoned, that would have happened.

We have Roku and Google TV in the household but Google TV does so much more, can reach so many more sites with content that Roku isn't used for much. Roku is simple and works great for what it does however.

Watch CES for new Google TV products again this year, including the ASUS Qube.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ASUS...-box-army-of-Windows-8-devices-at-CES_id38363

9. Jan 7, 2013 #9 of 20
    shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The Hulu content can be had at other various sites anyway so Hulu is losing out on the hits the other sites are getting.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    in other words, "other various ILLEGAL" sites.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still have my Hulu+ subscription although I have not used it in a while. I put it on hold in the Summer and I guess I should have kept it on hold for awhile longer.

But it is only $8 a month. Less than a couple of coffees at Starbucks. I guess I should cancel it and put that $8 towards RedBox Instant when it launches.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The shows have commercials. What's the difference between someone watching a show on their PC or on their TV through a set top box? The only reason they have this limitation is because the content providers think that if they offer it on a TV screen people will stop watching their local broadcasts which include local commercials inserted by the broadcaster or cable company. It's all a big scheme to try and hold on to an old, outdated, business model which is being eaten away at anyway by DVRs.

Dan

13. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    PlayOn and PlayLater are not illegal and as long as Hulu blocks streaming boxes, the best way I have found to watch Hulu.

http://www.playlater.tv/

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The license. I never said I liked the limitation. But it isn't going away and is the reason there will never be support for regular Hulu on any set top box. Hulu Plus is where Hulu is going. I wouldn't be surprised to see the free version killed off in the next few years.

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'd be okay with paying the $8 a month, if there were no commercials. Either one but not both Hulu. Until they either remove the commercials or the fee then Hulu Plus is not for me.

16. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I got a free 6 month Hulu Plus subscription when I got a Premiere. I have occasionally been using it, but my trial ends next month and I don't plan to keep it. Here is why:

• I had NUMEROUS problems getting Hulu to work on my Premiere Box. Probably worked about only 50% of the time. Would get an error code the other times.
    • There are commercials and even this sometimes hung up my connection
    • cable network content that is available for free users (on PC) is NOT available for paid PLUS users. EXTREMEMLY BASS AKWARDS!!!!
    • Sometimes I got no audio on a device and would have to do a HARD reset (physically unplug unit)
    • Some content has been edited. Specficially, Saturday Night Live. I would hear about skits on this show and they were totally taken out on the Hulu version. UNACCEPTABLE

17. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    There is also Plex, which I use on my Roku players. I watch various networks feeds through it as well as regular Hulu. Nearly everything available on regular Hulu is also available directly from the network websites. Although not a lot of network sites can be accessed from Plex.

18. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    @moedaman, am I reading you correctly? If I have a Plex server running, I can watch non-Plus Hulu on my TV via the Plex channel on my Roku?

19. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yep, as long as you have the Hulu channel app installed in the Plex server and have the server running. Sadly it's only 480p, but it works. I also have all of the "Big 4" networks plus PBS and HGTV (for my wife) installed and can watch the shows from those websites through my Roku too. It worked great for watching The Mentalist episodes that weren't recorded right thanks to NFL over-runs.

20. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Cool! Now just need my new desktop to hurry the hell up and get here :) Current desktop dates from '04 and can barely get out of it's own way :D