1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu app error 5003

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Carleton Wu, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Carleton Wu

Carleton Wu New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    I recently signed up for Hulu no-commercials membership.

On my Roamio, I do not have any issues with streaming, but on my Mini, I get "error 5003" every time I try to stream a show or movie. The notice says to check connectivity. I have rebooted everything. I've made sure network apps is allowed. The Mini is hardwired. No streaming issues with Netflix or Amazon. No issues playing DVR'd shows from my Roamio. Initially, I'd see Error 5003 only occasionally but now it is all the time. Short clips or trailers play fine. THe short intro showing channel and show play fine, it is only when the actually episode or movie is supposed to play that I get the message.

Any thoughts?

2. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    I also got error 5003 when I first boot or reboot mini. I figured out it takes 3 or 4 more mins to load apps. If I wait 5 mins after booting all works well.

M

3. Carleton Wu

Carleton Wu New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Mine still will not play HULU. 5003 code. Funny thing is, I can play it off the bluray player HULU app that is fed through the same ethernet switch, so it has to be my MINI. But Amazon and Netflix work just fine!

4. werk

werk Member

Feb 24, 2005
    Been getting this pretty regularly on my mini lately. Sometimes it happens with anything, sometimes just one episode of one show. Doesn't happen on my Roamio or other devices with hulu. Really odd.

5. Carleton Wu

Carleton Wu New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    It started out as sporadic. Now it is all the time. Funny thing is short clips or trailers play fine but regular content doesn't work.

6. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    Well just for the record. The TiVo Minis will no longer play Hulu at all. Error 5003. Main unit plays fine, iPhone plays fine, iPad plays fine, MacBook plays fine and iMac plays fine. All on the same network. When Hulu App is run on Mini there are many corrupted screens as the App comes up. After selecting content, there are still corrupted screens... This is on all 3 minis we have. Really irritating.

M

IMG_6832.JPG -1.jpeg -2.jpeg

7. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I have the exact same problem. Works great on the main Tivo but never on the Mini.
    I rebooted it and also Ran the Hulu app, then hit the back button so it said do you want to exit, then Yet, then reloaded it.
    Nothing works.
    I have a rock solid 60 Meg Internet speed on a 1 Gig Network.

QUESTION:
    Has anyone opened a support case with Tivo (URL to fill out the form is below).
    What about a case with HULU? Do both know this is a wide spread issue?

TIVO- Link to open a case
    Contact Us

Hulu Support cases- Email and I.M.
    Contact Us

8. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    I opened up a case with Hulu. TiVo just loads the apps they give them. IMHO the one for the Mini got corrupted, hence screens above. Our Bolt + works on Hulu, although after you watch for 30 mins or so it starts to pause some. I think we are going to have to canx Hulu. I have no issues with Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Etc on either the bolt + or Minis. Our network is a solid 300mbs. Have Cisco comm closet.

m

speed-of-me.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Lots of People are also posting this issue on the Hulu Facebook page, sometimes when Marketing sees bad issues like this they will let the VPs know and then they will work faster to fix it. The Power of Social media. . .
    Looks like this has been going on for a year.
    Some even get 3 Months free just for calling and opening a case that way. That will get their attention fast. URL to page is below.
    Each Time Hulu claims it is the customers slow network.

10. candy jackson

candy jackson New Member

Jan 30, 2017
    im having same issue with my tivo mini for hulu the 5003 error. i did a bunch of trouble shooting with Hulu but was not successful still not able to get it to work. before it started out where i can watch anything new but not resume anything now that i did trouble shooting i cant get anything at all to play.

11. walk2197

walk2197 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Let's see if we can figure this out. I have been dealing with it for about 6 months. Like you guys works fine on the roamio but not on the mini or premiere. I have a question. How are your devices connected to the net (moca, wireless, ethernet?)

12. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    Well our TiVo Bolt + is on the EXACT network segment as our TiVo Minis. Cable modem hooks to the Cisco switch. I even tried switching the ports on the switch and the TiVo Mini does not play Hulu but the TiVo Bolt + worked. I have narrowed it down to the Hulu Application. They (Bolt+ & Mini) are 2 different apps I believe.

M

13. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    New info to add.
    Bug seems to only with transitions (changing form a generic intro video to the main show).
    I also found older shows working fine.
    There is a posting on the web from someone claiming to used to work at Hulu, he said Hulu is like a Menu, some videos come from say NBC some form say CBS some from who knows where so if some shows work but others do not it could be on their end.

My test tells me they just need to ADD a Wait statement or increase the time out setting in the App so when there are Transitions the network does not think it timed out.
    I called Hulu and they just point fingers back to Tivo.
    Guess we need to keep calling Tivo on this

HOW TO REPRODUCE
    ======
    Go to a Made for Hulu Show, the TV ratings splash screen displays, then a Short this is a made for Hulu Show then some kind of cover page Video for the Show.
    THEN
    You get Hulu Error 5003
    Looks like a time out out as the stream transitions to starting the main show. All they need to do is increase the time out or add a known pause so it does not time out with error 5003.
    This is a HULU App Issues, I have called Hulu twice on this. They say on there end everything is fine.
    Who ever wrote the app needs to fix it, Hulu says it is Tivo.

14. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Contacted Hulu via Twitter message for help.
    They confirmed it is an issue, gave me a free month.

15. Carleton Wu

Carleton Wu New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    HULU support says other Mini owners are experiencing the same issue. I didn't get offered a free month though.o_O

16. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    If your only device you use for Hulu is a Tivo Mini then you have to let them know that you don't like to have to pay for something you can't use. We have 3 Tivo Minis.

M

17. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Tivo Engineering again today is saying they can not reproduce the issue on the MINI.

Is this only happening on Hulu Accounts that are the most expensive commercial free? Maybe Tivo has the commercial cheaper one? Thats my guess.
    Not sure if this is a Tivo or Hulu issues so its best to have both companies working the issue.
    Please reply so we can get a pattern and I will call Tivo's escalation dept back.

18. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    That is really weird. I have an email that says Hulu knows there is an issue. Matter of fact we have exchanged quite a few emails as they ask me my speed of my internet etc... 1st Email Quote Below. Hulu Support ticket (8747153).

"
    Thanks for reaching out and letting us know about the trouble you've been having with our service. We've received a number of reports from others about a playback error on the TiVo Mini , and we are currently investigating the issue.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience. If there's anything else I can do to assist you as we continue to investigate, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Cindy C.
    Hulu Support

"

M

19. Carleton Wu

Carleton Wu New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    I have the Hulu commercial free plan. I would not consider the regular Hulu as I can just TIVO DVR the shows and use SKIP. I like the convenience of watching the show in it's entirety with no interruption or interventions by me, and use TIVO DVR as a backup or for CBS shows.

For sure the issue is not the router/switch because I can watch HULU from my smart SONY bluray player that is using the same ethernet.

20. InVision

InVision Member

Jan 26, 2003
    NW Florida
    I know what you mean. Hell I can watch fine on my TiVo Bolt + or Samsung TV using the same network plugin as the Tivo Mini that does not work on Hulu. Is it just the commercial free Hulu Service?

M