1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Html5

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by compnurd, Aug 20, 2013.

1. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    well this begs the question... will they port the html 5 interface down to the premiere and would it do anything?

2. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    It kind of answers some questions

3. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Well not the big questions of "what" and "when" unfortunately.

4. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    HTML 5 is only used for the OTT apps (Netflix and YouTube now, Hulu, Spotify and others later). There is no indication that they ported any part of the core TiVo experience to HTML 5.

In any case, I would hold my breath if you expect any features to trickle back down to the Premiere line. Some stuff is obvious:

• Outside the home streaming with a TiVo Stream
    • Dynamic Tuner Allocation on the TiVo Mini (Coming *soon* for the Premiere)
    • UI refresh to bring it in line with the Roamio (Darker color scheme, additional screen conversions)

I don't see ChromeCast/DIAL support or even HTML 5 coming down. It is too slow and won't benefit you at all.

5. jhilla

jhilla Guest

May 13, 2011
    @TiVo Are you still planning on supporting the Premiere units with updates to fix current glitches or is that the end of the road for us?

Yes I know the new units are coming down the pipe and we will be left in dust. But are they planning to help us get a stable format or drop us like leftovers? Don't get me wrong this sounds exciting but I think this is the end of the road for us.:(

6. jhilla

jhilla Guest

May 13, 2011
    Actually the Pro and ProPlus will have a built in streamer so it will not even need a secondary box to the job of 1.

7. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Do NOT expect the major improvements on the TiVo4 series. The CPU differences between the 2 are light years apart. The new TiVo5 hardware does GPU acceleration of Flash/AIR where the TiVo4 hardware does nearly all of it in CPU.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think we're going to get one more major update in the Fall with DTA and a few more HD screens and then after that maybe a couple bug fix releases and that will be it. This is how they've done it in the past and I don't really expect it to change for this generation.

9. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
  10. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Hmmm...I forgot about this jem...what is the proposal for the P4/4XL?

11. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    The proposal is that they enable outside the home stream for the TiVo stream. I imagine it won't be the same day as the Roamio gets it, but the chip used in the Stream was literally glued into the new Roamio so it is the same exact thing.

12. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    I am disappointed as well. I've had my series 4 for only since the Spring, and was really hoping a software update would address the sluggishness. But if it is a hardware issue, what can you do? :(

13. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I wouldn't put the blame solely on the hardware, writing terrible software also doesn't help.

That was a little harsh, and I'm sure the code for the new HDUI is fine, but the decision to Adobe Air was a disaster.

14. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I really wished that the new interface was coming to the Premiere if anything, to bring new life for the Premiere, but according to the FAQ of the Roamio, it's not :( https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio#tab4

15. MeCouchPotato

MeCouchPotato New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    The performance of the Roamio is so dramatically improved over the Premier, to the point where it's hard to believe it's just a hardware change.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Have they actually said there will Ui refresh for the Premiere? The only thing I've heard mentioned is that the Roamio UI will come to the Mini. But i never heard anything about it coming to the Premiere. I would think they might try and keep the newer UI on just the 2013 models and keep the prior boxes with the old UI. That way it's less confusing for people.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Dynamic Tuning Allocation (DTA) is supposedly on the way for the Premieres according to Margret and MSOs. I think it's likely the Premieres will get an update but without a lot of the UI changes (like the last Mini update which is same version as Roamios but without UI changes). They may get the new Netflix which is still Flash based but doubt they will get HTML5 and hence YouTube update.

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm sorry but that statement is bizarre to me. "Just" a hardware change?

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah, try running Windows 7 on a 486 and on a new i7 and see how much of a difference a "hardware change" can make. :)