1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 hard drive swap?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hauntedsoul, Oct 18, 2007.

1. hauntedsoul

hauntedsoul New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tinley Park
    Just a question.....can you take a hard drive from a hr10-250 and just stick it in a hr20? will it get mpeg4 than? I mean the tivo hard drive

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    If you're asking what I think you're asking, no.

3. rlj5242

rlj5242 New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    It won't recognize the format of the disk from the HR10 and reformat it. It will then be able to record MPEG4 channels to it. Will it have the Tivo interface? No. It will still be the NDS software. Will you be able to put the drive back in the HR10? Yes. After you find a HR10 image and load it back on the drive.

And you will void the lease agreement on the HR20. You will be charged for it if you ever return it to DirecTV.

-Robert

4. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    All the HR20s I have received (5) are refurbished with loose covers and noisy hard drives. I dont know how they could tell if I opened it.

As I understand, the HR20 software is on the motherboard. So as rlj says, if you put a hard drive in it, the software just formats that hard drive

5. tfederov

tfederov M GO BLUE!!!

Jul 6, 2003
    Plano, TX
    The software isn't NDS, it's home-grown developed by DIRECTV.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    First, the HR20 is not a TiVo. Second, the HR10 uses PATA drives and the HR20 uses SATA drives.

7. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    and to get a more recording space all you need do is buy a esata enclosure. running 1TB (two 500GB) drives on the HR20 right now. it does disconnect the internal drive though

8. hauntedsoul

hauntedsoul New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tinley Park
    All Iwant is HR20 TiVO...I guess I cant do that
    I( just come home from Van Halen in Chicago
    rock on