1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10 WinMFS restore woes

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jonapt, Jul 3, 2013.

1. jonapt

jonapt New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Has anyone on this thread successfully restored an HR10 with WinMFS?

I have two HR10s and the following winmfs3f backups.

- HR10#1 Original before Guided Setup
    - HR10#1 500MB PTVnet/Instant Cake 6.4a after Guided Setup
    - HR10#2 Original before Guided Setup
    - HR10#2 1TB PTVnet/Instant Cake 6.4a after Guided Setup

None of the restores worked.

a) Restore HR10#2 1TB to 1TB drive: PowerOn-AlmostThere-PowerOn loop.
    b) Restore HR10#2 Original to 300MB drive: PowerOn-AlmostThere-PowerOn loop.
    c) Restore HR10#2 1TB to 500MB drive: PowerOn-AlmostThere-PowerOn loop.
    d) Restore HR10#1 Original to 300MB drive: PowerOn-AlmostThere-PowerOn loop.
    e) Restore HR10#1 1TB to 1TB drive: PowerOn-AlmostThere-PowerOn loop.

Gave up at this point, and did a PRVnet/Instant Cake install to a 1TB drive.

1) Backed up PTVnet/Instant Cake
    2) Installed PTVnet/Instant Cake and did Guided Setup/Season Passes
    3) Backed up PTVnet/Instant Cake w/Guided Setup/Season Passes

Attempts to restore these failed too.

MFSrestores were made to:
    - 300MB IDE
    - 500MB IDE
    - two 500MB SATA
    - three 1TB SATA

Many of the restores were done twice, one pass replying to "Expand" with Y and the other with N. Made no difference, still went into the power on loop.

Since the failing drive could still boot, did an MFScopy but that did not help, the copy took 7 hours, and went into the power on loop too.

To verify that there were no drive issues, did PTVnet/Instant Cake 6.4a installs to 500MB IDE, 500MB SATA and 1TB SATA drives and all of them booted up fine.

If there are any success stories out there with using WinMFS to backup/restore HR10s I'd like to hear about them, otherwise it looks like WinMFS backup/restore is not functional.

If backup/restore did not work at all I'd expect Search to have turned up some complaints, but maybe it works fine on Series 3 and later, just not the HR10.