1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250 reboots/crashes on signal loss

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by the_Skywise, Sep 19, 2013.

1. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    For the past year or so I had noticed that my DirecTV tivo (HR10-250) had rebooted (both tuners were on the same channel) at some point when I wasn't looking and sometimes it'd be hung. It's a minor annoyance so I would just move on or reboot and move on.

I noticed last week during a thunderstorm and signal loss that my Tivo rebooted after being up for two weeks and then again, last night during a thunderstorm with signal loss my Tivo froze up not once but TWICE during a long storm.

I don't think that's a coincidence. Anyone else seen a pattern like that?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's not uncommon when reception is interrupted. It's also possible that your AC power "glitched" due to a lightning strike.

3. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    Hope not... it's going through a battery backed UPS. :D

Actually I thought about that too but there was no lightning strike at the time, just rain. (There had been several hours earlier that caused several "spikes" in my lighting but the TiVo kept running then.)

The box is obviously old (I've replaced the power supply and have gone through several hard drives) so I was wondering if there was a known aging decoder issue or something.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it possible that you replaced the power supply with one that also eventually fell victim to capacitor plague?

5. glenn m

glenn m New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    I have 6 directv TIVO's . 2 HR10-250's and 3 R10's . All units are locking up at the same time with the rain fade that occurs daily in my area of Florida. This started 8 months ago to 1 year. So I can confirm that it is a directv problem with the older TIVO's
    software. I have a new directv TiVo and it fades out with the rest but comes back and does not lock up. Directv claiming it is an antenna problem, switch etc so service is coming today....will post if we find anything. Some of the TiVo's reboot and reset after the rain fade, but not consistant.

6. glenn m

glenn m New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Tech was here....looked at signal, wiring, dish alignment and basically cancelled call. No issues found. Back to tech support.