1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you physically connect a slingbox to the base model Tivo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by omelet1978, Aug 30, 2013.

1. omelet1978

omelet1978 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I'm thinking about upgrading. I was just wondering how you would connect a slingbox 350 or 500 to the base model Roamio. I only see one HDMI out and nothing else.

Thank you

2. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    There is a breakout cable, but I suspect the only way to get one is to call TiVo and see if you can order one. I presume it will support component outputs.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Based on the color coding of the A/V port on the Roamio basic, compared to the Mini*, the breakout cable will likely only be composite RCA and not component. Someone mentioned that it might be able to do either, via a software selection, but I've yet to see anyone actually mention finding such an option in the software.

* The Mini has two breakout ports. The yellow A/V port is composite RCA. The green port is component.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The AV jack on the Roamio is composite RCA and stereo audio. A standard breakout cable for 1/8" mini jack works fine (I used one that came with a WDTV Live). Works fine and for streaming outside the home, 720x480 is about all the resolution the continuous upstream bandwidth will support anyway. For composite output, it looks pretty darn good via sling player.

You could also use an HDMI splitter to get more than one HDMI port but if your main tv is 1080p, you will no longer connect at that resolution as the Sling only supports 1080i input and the splitter selects the highest common format on its outputs.

5. omelet1978

omelet1978 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

So just get this cable, plug it into the a/v jack and the slingbox 350 and I'm good to go?

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That one is a set intended for the Mini, so you're buying two cables one of which you don't need. I bought one on ebay for like $6 that works fine.

7. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    good thing I bought a pro, had no idea base model had no component out for my slingbox

8. Sep 4, 2013 #8 of 69
    Chesterton

Chesterton New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I just received a Roamio base unit. I had an extra composite breakout cable from an old Slingbox Classic. Oddly, the white RCA jack, not the yellow one, carries the video, and the yellow and red have the audio I think. But there's a buzz in the audio. Any idea what's going on?

9. Sep 5, 2013 #9 of 69
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  10. Chesterton

Chesterton New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for this advice! I found another cable I had that came with a free TV converter box that I got when the government was offering those. This cable has a longer neck. It works with no buzz, but I had to again swap the white and yellow jacks.

11. sjsaleem

sjsaleem New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Were you able to get live streaming with this cable connected with Tivo Roamio base and Slingbox 350? Were you able to change the channels from slingbox client?

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There is no reason it wouldn't work. You may have to use a Premiere code for the remote setup (not sure if the Roamio is in their remote database yet). The only issue is it will not be HD since you can only use composite cables out of the base Roamio.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I noticed my phone downloaded an updated Slinplayer app today. Now my video, on my phone, from my SlingBox 350 is all messed up.

14. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Try going through the Slingbox setup again for your input type. Annoying, but hopefully it will fix the problem.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks. It's working now.

16. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    "Breakout" cable is a general term. You can find them on the internets in more than one location. Specifically, you're looking for an A/V breakout cable that provides a red/white/yellow connection.

You will notice there is a jack that looks like you could plug in some headphones. That's where they'll go. They are not component. They are A/V.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most of these are designed for Apple products and will not work with a TiVo. Apple breakout cables have the ground wire in a different location then the TiVo so the only way to get them to work is to cut the cable and rewire them. If it was just the other 3 being mixed up you could make it work by just rearranging the connectors on the TV. But if the ground wire is in the wrong spot it'll never work properly.

18. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    That's odd. You'd think they would have a standard to prevent confusion. There are places that sell general a/v breakout cables that are not specifically designated for TiVo, or Apple. I wonder whose device is breaking the standard in that case. I also discovered that Apple car/usb adapters don't work for non-apple devices. That annoys me.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Apple broke the standard. They designed their ports so they were dual purpose and could be used for A/V or standard headphones. The previous A/V standard had already been established on video cameras but because of the position of the ground was not capable of supporting both headphones and A/V.

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Standard mini-phone plugs have been tip-left, ring-right, sleeve-ground for about the last 50 years, or least the sleeve=ground part has been around since the origin of the 1/4 " phone plug on which the 1/8 " miniphone plug is modeled.

How does putting the ground anywhere else facilitate using a standard headphone plug?

Or did they go with a proprietary headphone plug pinout as well?