1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would a MoCA setup work for me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LynnL999, Dec 28, 2012.

1. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Hi,

I am considering MoCA to extend my ethernet range, but I'm not sure how the setup would work for me based on the diagrams I've seen. I get how the additional MoCA adapters would be setup, but I'm not clear on the "main" adapter setup.

At my main console, I have the cable modem, the router, and the TiVo XL. From the wall, the coax goes into a splitter, with one side going into the TiVo and one to the cable modem.

The TiVo side goes from the splitter to the tuning adapter to the TiVo.

The modem side goes from the splitter to the modem (duh).

So I am a bit confused, as I have seen diagrams where the MoCA goes between the (in my case) splitter and the tivo, and others where it goes between the splitter and the cable modem. How would I wire up MoCA in my situation, keeping the tuning adapter in mind as well?

Thanks for any help.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Doesn't matter where it goes as long as it's connected to the coax. Based on your description I would put it on the modem side of the splitter. The MoCa adapter has a pass through port so I would just plug the cable that is currently connected to your modem into the MoCa adapter, then use a short jump cable to connect the pass through port to the modem.

Dan

3. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Okay, that sounds logical :) Could I just keep the TiVo connected to the router as it is now, or would it need to be connected to the MoCA adapter instead, since the other TiVo would be connected by MoCA? It's all still on the same network, right?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would not need MoCa if your setup of router, cable modem and Tivo, TV are in the same location instead of at a distance (ie: router, modem at 1 end of house, TV, Tivo at other end.)

You would not need anything if your Tivo is connected straight to the router and modem.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You can have the tivo near the router connected via ethernet and the remote tivo connected via moca and all will work fine on one network. Moca extends your ethernet network to include the cable wireing in the house.

6. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Right, but I have a second TiVo in a bedroom upstairs, way too far for a ethernet connection.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.