1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will Xbox One work with Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by barrett14, Nov 17, 2013.

1. barrett14

barrett14 New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    How will the Tivo Roamio and Xbox One work together? Would my Xbox one go in between my receiver and Tivo? Or would I plug the Xbox One directly into the receiver?

I hope they go well together.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Assuming you had multiple devices with your TV (videogame system, dvd player, blu-ray player, dvr, *insert other device here*), you would hook them up in the same way, separately.

If your receiver has multiple inputs, put the DVR and your system into different inputs. If your receiver doesn't have multiple inputs, you might have to put one into your receiver and one into your TV. Your TV should have multiple inputs.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The XB1 wont really be able to control the TiVo so it's not going to do much for TiVo users. It's meant more for users with basic cable boxes watching live TV. It doesn't have enough built in commands to control the full functionality of a DVR.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't have one yet but does it not support TiVos at all? All it really needs to do is to be able to change channels since that is pretty much all you can do from the Xbox guide anyways.

6. en sabur nur

en sabur nur Member

Oct 30, 2007
    It will only change channels on the Tivo, by using the Kinect as an IR blaster. It will NOT integrate any of your Tivo recordings, nor will it be able to set up any recordings on your Tivo, no matter the model (Roamio, Premiere, Series 3 etc) Any other control will be through your Tivo Remote the iPad app or a third party remote, if you use one to control your Tivo (Harmony, Roomie Remote etc.).

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    But that is pretty much all Xbox has advertised the tv integration will do. The main benefit of hooking up your TiVo to the Xbox One is so you can launch apps/games from your main input without having to switch inputs. That is what will be useful. I could occasionally find it useful to bring up the guide and change channels with the voice control I suppose.

8. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    So, I've been debating this same topic for a while now.

I think IN GENERAL, you are correct. the Xbox One will not replace your TiVo remote. However, will the Xbox One be USABLE to control the TiVo sometimes? I think it will.

The mute and volume functions are non-starters, cause the TiVo doesn't do those and I don't see any good way to transmit those commands to my TV through an IR blaster. But the channel changing could easily be relevant sometimes if I already have the Xbox One awake. And the 2nd screen app for the Xbox could easily (since the TiVo app mostly sucks) be better than the TiVo app, and I could find myself changing channels with it. I don't see myself changing channels with voice control much, cause the remote is just simpler, but if I couldn't find the remote for example, it might happen.

So, I guess what I am saying is, in general, I agree... but it's worth setting up the IR blasters just to see if it ever plays out as being useful.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You shouldn't need to install ir blasters unless you have it in a enclosed cabinet. It is like the newer Slingboxes in that they blast the signal in several directions so the ir blaster cable isn't usually needed.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. Anything in the room will receive the IR signal. At least this is the way it works with my Slingbox 350.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder if it'll support all 10 TiVo remote codes or only 0? If it only supports 0 then it'll be completely useless to anyone with multiple TiVos in the same room.

Personally I never watch live TV, so having it change channels for me is useless. Also I'm terrible at multi-tasking so trying to watch TV while simultaneously playing a game is never going to work for me.

I think the pass through port on my XB1 is going to remain unused.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Why would you not use the pass-thru? With pass-thru you can launch games and Xbox apps without switching inputs. You don't have to set up the Xbox One to control the TiVo for it to be useful.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    For me I would need to constantly switch game mode on and off on my DVDO DUO. Since when playing a game you want game mode on to reduce the possibility of lag. And then when watching other content you want to turn game mode off so the normal processing can be done. As long as the XBOne doesn't use remote code 0, I will try it out with my Roamio Basic which is a secondary TiVo. But I don't initially plan on using it with my Roamio Pro which is my main TiVo.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The XBox would always need to be on for me to watch TV, I don't want that. I don't play games enough. I already have an A/V receiver to do switching, plus a smart TV with all the apps I need. The XB1 is going to be for games and the occasional BD for me.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Do we know that yet? HDMI on stand-by has become very standard in the receiver world, it wouldn't be a stretch that the XB1 does the same.
    For me I have 2 Tivo's and swap a lot, the XB1 doesn't help me at all, especially since it's not a full DVR support unit that we can tell.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    SInce the XBOne uses 19 watts in standby, it better pass through the HDMI signals.

17. en sabur nur

en sabur nur Member

Oct 30, 2007
    That's what I plan to do with it. I don't care so much about changing channels with my voice. I may use it on occasion because I recently switched from Xfinity to Fios and I haven't learned their channel numbers yet, but with the Roamios, it's not neccessary. I pre-ordered a XBox One for:
    1.Skype
    2.Blu Ray
    3.SkyDrive
    4.HDMI Passthrough
    5.The ability to keep track of tv shows and movies I want to watch (they mentioned this during the "Reveal" earlier this year, but I haven't heard anymore about it since then.

18. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Just saw this review. You need to have the xbox on to see anything on your TV.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/125132-xbox-one-review

Connect the cables via HDMI, as we described above, and what you feed into the Xbox One comes out again as "TV". You have to have the Xbox One turned on, however, as there's no passive HDMI pass-through: if your Xbox is in standby, you can't watch TV.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  20. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    This was mentioned in the other Xbox One/TiVo thread but I thought I would share it here to incase you were wondering:

If you have a 5.1 setup the xbox will downmix your audio to stereo. There is a surround sound option BUT its currently in beta since it can/will (passed on a reviewer with a TiVo - which model was not mentioned so a Roamio might be okay) lower the picture quality when turned on.

When the option is turned on the Xbox will output uncompressed 5.1 audio (PCM), Dolby Digital is not supported at launch. Which also means all game audio will be bitstream DTS or PCM 5.1/7.1

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/21/5129240/xbox-one-dolby-encoding-hdmi-audio-in-in-beta

Personally I don't want to risk lowering of my picture quality and messing with my 5.1

So this will be my solution: I'll keep my TiVo Roamio setup the same, aka keep it on its own HDMI input. I have a TiVo mini as well and it already lives in the same room as my Roamio because I keep all my AV equipment in a closet, I'll be hooking the mini to my Xbox One.

I'll test the surround sound and see how the picture quality looks. This why I can watch TV/Snap TV on the xbox while gaming. Even if the quality loss in marginal I'll keep the mini plugged in until the feature is out of beta or has support to control the DVR functions of my TiVo, since I usually only watch recorded content many of the xbox one features will be lost of me. The mini will just sit in live TV so I can say Xbox Watch HBO or Food Network when waiting for games to install :D