1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to watch S3 programing on PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by VicV_1, Jan 13, 2013.

1. VicV_1

VicV_1 New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    I want to hook-up my PC to a S3. My PC has a WinTV card in it. Hooking up the cable direct to the input of the tv card works fine but when I hookup a s-video cable from the tv card to the S3 I get no picture on my computer screen. What do I need to do to get this to work?
  2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    The only way to watch recordings on your PC, is to transfer them from the Tivo to the PC over the LAN.

I assume you already have a LAN connection to the Tivo for daily updates?

First, you need to activate downloads and transfers for your Tivo:

Then you'll need to download and install Tivo Desktop to your computer.

Wait, you are trying to put the output of the Tivo into a capture card of some sort, or is it a tuner card?
  3. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Which Hauppauge WinTV card is it? The one I am familiar with from 1990's the "S-Video" Input had a couple of extra pins that have the audio signal on it and you need to use break-out the cable that came with the card the cable converts to 3 connectors the S-Video and Left and Right audio connectors.

My remote did not have a button to change the inputs and I had to change it in programs properties I was running a non windows OS and the time so the menus are probably different.
  4. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    I have a Premier XL4 connected to my pc through the composite input (don't ask) of a MyHd130 tuner/capture card.

It works without TiVo software but the resolution can only be 480i.
    All programming can be viewed even copy right material.
  5. VicV_1

VicV_1 New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    I have a WinTV-Pr-350 tv card. Also I want to watch the tivo programming through Beyond Tv software. I think I might have to add a inline coax signal amplifier as I did when the S3 was hooked up in the Family room.
  6. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    You're making it much too complicated.. As stated, you can download the shows directly from your Tivo (over the network). That's much easier than trying to hook the video outputs of your Tivo to your computer.
  7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Looking at the specs for that card, S-video is for output, not input.

In order to use that card the way you want, you need an RF modulator in between the Tivo and that tuner card.
  8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    The OP is in Ohio which means most likely TWC, which copy protects all but local broadcast stations thus preventing transfers to a PC. Many other cable systems do the same or similar.
  9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Apparently you have a tuner card when what you need to do what you're talking about here is a video capture card, although see if your cable company has a way to defeat that before buying one.