1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: Transfer /download cablevision dvr Explorer 8300 recordings to tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stylin, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    I think it's possible, but could not find any prior threads.
    I have my new TiVo set up to "Watch One Channel, Record Another (w/Cable Box)". The cable box (SA 4200) currently in use w/ my existing setup, is not a dvr.
    Previous to joining TiVo, I was using Cable Co dvr (Scientific Atlanta 8300). I have recordings on the SA 8300 that I would like to upload to TiVo. Is this possible? If so, how? The setup would be temporary, as I'd like to return the SA asap. And yes, I have enough hd space (300gb) on TiVo to accomadate the upload.
    TIA

Specs:
    Cablevision
    SA 8300 dvr box has: rf in/out, 2 rca inputs, s-video, IR, Sata via usb
    SA 4200 cable box has: rf in/out, 1 rca input, 1 male svideo input
    TV1 has: rf, 2 rca inputs, 1 (mono) male svideo input, ant in

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Temporarily connect the 8300 to the TiVo's S-Video input and audio inputs. Set up a manual recording for the length of time of the program. When the TiVo starts recording, play the show on the 8300. The title will be whatever TiVo thinks is on at that time and channel.

This is awkward and may not be the best approach for you. A real "upload" is not possible.

3. Stylin

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    Crap! Got all excited to go try and realized I don't have s-video cable Is there another way?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Composite will work too. Whatever method you are using to connect your other cable box.

5. Stylin

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    Actually I kinda figured it out (the hard way lol) - Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier: I just switched my current cable box, with the dvr box, and set the TiVo to record a phantom show in 2 hr blocks. It's working! Since most the shows I want to watch tonight are analog, I can watch them while the TiVo uploads...
    Thanks again Steve for taking the time.