1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to transfer copyrighted video to computer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by slyone, Jun 20, 2012.

1. slyone

slyone New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I haven't used this in a while but I transfer stuff to laptop then over to Ipod. I looked today and everything is copyrighted so it won't transfer(using I-Tunes). what up brother....:confused:

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I don't think you can.

4. slyone

slyone New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    man that sucks! I'm on Time Warner upstate NY.

5. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    There's a TiVo support page on the issue. TiVo is just following the rules set forth in the DFAST and CableCARD licensing agreements which they had to sign in order to manufacture products with CableCARD interfaces.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    There are two ways around the problem and one permanent solution.

The Tivo HD is hackable to get around it. Not for discussion here but it exists.

2nd method involves an HD tuner card with analog component video inputs, essentially recording the tivo output, in real time.

The permanent solution is to tell Time Warner what you think of thier heavy hand in copy protection of media you paid for use of and leave. Cut the cord. I did, and if many more do, they will change thier ways or die.

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    How is this the fault of TW? If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection, should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying? It seems to me anybody owning rights to programming should have the right to use whatever legal security measures they deem fit and as consumers we have the right to not purchase the programming. Technology exists and laws permit its use and I sure don't see how using it will cause TW to die, more likely not using it will. I am OTA and streaming only but I sure have no complaints with TiVo or any cable company for using or honoring copy protection when it is appropriate and legal and required by the rights owner.

The best business decision may be to just allow free copying and transfer among various devices but it isn't my decision to make, it is the company owning the rights to the property that should get to make those decisions.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Only problem with that, TW liberally applies the copy protection even if the content owner doesn't request it.
    I'd bet 80% of the channels don't request that their programming be copy protected.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    First, it isn't just TWC doing this although they are the worst.

More important, this is no solution at all. TiVo digital cable subscribers are less than 1% of their digital customers and realistically you're never going to get most of them to cut the cord, i.e., there is no leverage.

There is a major thread buried on this forum somewhere that involved a letter-writing (actually email writing) campaign on this. All it netted was legalese from TWC saying in essence: it's legal for us to do this -- we're doing it -- and we're not telling you whether it's because our programmers require it. <insert cartoon>beating a dead horse</insert cartoon>. ;)

10. en sabur nur

en sabur nur Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Use the second method suggested:

2nd method involves an HD tuner card with analog component video inputs, essentially recording the tivo output, in real time.

The only way to LEGALLY achieve the result you want. No letter-writing needed.

11. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    By CableCARD licensing TiVo is required to apply analog copy control signals to analog video output; the DMCA requires recording equipment to recognize and obey those signals.

12. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Most cable channels don't request protection. In fact, I have Comcast an nothing is protected. Friends who have HBO, or other pay channels say those channels are protected.

Fox is not the OP's issue, TW is.

13. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    When people complained to Comcast about wanton channel protection early in the post digital-cable-agreement era, Comcast enacted a corporate-wide policy of only applying copy-one-gen protection to channels whose providers explicitly required it. Of course, HBO is one such channel.

If you ask me, the FCC should require a filed request for copy protection from the programming provider prior to the cable companies being allowed to apply the codes.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I thought this only worked with the original TiVo Series 3 (model TCD648250), not the TiVo HD.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Do any content owners request copy protection? Verizon FIOS doesn't protect anything. Are they just ignoring the content owners? Somehow I think they are not and the content owners simply aren't requesting copy protection. Given the fact that some cable companies copy protect nearly every channel, I am doubtful of your claims.

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    AMEN! Preach on, brotha! :D

17. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I believe that the premium subscription channels do. There's a FAQ entry on HBO's site about their use of CGMS-A analog output protection and I assume that their attitude is the same about their digital content. I'd be surprised if the others didn't have similar policies.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It is at least *partly* TW's fault since they apparently copy protect many channels that are not required to be copy protected by the copyright owners (i.e. the channels themselves).

I don't have a citation, but I think there was a discussion here years ago where someone actually got a channel to officially say that they didn't want copy protection. I don't remember what became of it.

19. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Can't disagree with that. Excellent suggestion.

20. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    As pointed out in other posts in this thread: not all channels do yet TW has the flag (allegedly) enabled on all channels. If Fox does require it then, yes, TW should comply. The key word is if. If Fox doesn't then TW shouldn't.

It's certainly possible that TW is like Comcast, only enabling the flag for providers like HBO that specify it. However, it seems unlikely that the OP would happen to only record shows with the flag enabled. Certainly possible...