1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to test POE filter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ziggie, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    TiVo sent us a POE filter that we installed yesterday. Everything seems to be working fine but my question is.. how do we test it? How do we know it's keeping the MoCA signals inside the house?

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Try putting the filter on a coax between nodes and verify that the signal is dead. :rolleyes:

3. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means. Nodes?

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It means place the filter somewhere in the coax line between two Moca devices that are using Moca to communicate with each other and see if they can no longer communicate with each other. If they are able to communicate before you place the filter between them but unable to afterward, then you know that the filter must be working.

5. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thank you THB! :) :up:

6. webcrawlr

webcrawlr New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    That test may not give you the results you are looking for depending on your setup. If you are using splitters that fully pass MoCA (rated above 1000Mhz) and your cable run from adapter A to B isn't crazy long or overly split you still could get a MoCA connection. I know because I tested this very scenario using two adapters, a Holland HFS-3D splitter and 40 feet total of RG6. The rejection that small filter TiVO gives you wasn't enough to overcome the +55db or so signal strength the MoCA box sent out. I didn't go so far as to see what the quality of the connection was but it did connect.

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    With the ActionTec MoCA adapters you can log in to it and have it generate a new encryption key, so even if the signal got out to your neighbors they can't connect to your network.