1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop Live TV recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MojoB, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Is there a way to stop Tivo from automatically recording Live TV? I have an old Tivo, can't afford a new one, and don't want to wear out the hard drive with it constantly recording.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you are referring to the Live TV buffer, then the answer would generally be 'no'.

If you can find a channel with no signal, that might alleviate your concerns.

BTW, does this Tivo have a lifetime subscription? If your Tivo decides to bite the dust, it can most likely be repaired. There are places to get replacement parts where all you have to do is swap them out.
    If you want to save money and have computer skills, there are people here that can help you do it yourself.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If your TiVo is plugged in, the hard drive is running.

That's an unavoidable part of the way it's designed.

What's the model number, do you have a lifetime subscription, and what is the hard drive size, or what number of hours is or was the TiVo advertised as being able to record?

4. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    How can you find a channel with no signal because my cable box will not tune itself unless it's a channel on the guide.

TCD540040, has lifetime, 40 hour.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Most likely expenses in your future:

1. $10 worth of capacitors for the power supply if you can solder or know someone who can.

Go read the wikipedia article about "capacitor plague" so you'll understand if it happens to you.

2. And/or the cost of a replacement hard drive.

You can save money by doing that yourself if you have a computer to which you can hook up the drive and the replacement drive.

Power supply capacitors (in S2s and S3s) and hard drives are more likely to go bad than the motherboard.

Even in standby the 30 minute cache seems to still be recorded (just tried it on a 240), and the hard drive would continue to spin even if it weren't.

I suppose you could unplug it when not in use, but start-up puts extra strain on components and hard drives, so that might actually hasten its demise.

6. spidershowl11

spidershowl11 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    You cannot stop it from recording everything but you can reduce the number of programs it records.
    Press the "TiVo" button. Select "Manage Recordings & downloads." (On standard definition TiVo, select "Find Programs" and select "To do list" to see what your TiVo is set to record and when.)

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    That makes no difference. Whether it is recording something from the TDL or the live buffer, it is still recording. Canceling programs will make no difference on the wear and tear on the hard drive.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If the disc went bad, you would not need a new tivo. You could pick up a used one cheap - craigslist is full of 10-20 offers and move the disc over. It is also easy to copy/upgrade- do it now with a new drive and then put your old one in storage- just in case. All for just the cost of the drive.

9. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    I don't know how to solder, could I replace the entire power supply? So you would have to move files from the original hard drive to the new one using your computer?

If you don't replace or repair it yourself, who could do it without losing my lifetime subscription? I guess I will just leave it on, which leads me to another question, how should I turn off my Tivo - just unplug it or do something before that?

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    My preferred method for turning off a TiVo involves either being able to easily access where the power cord plugs into the AC source (like a wall outlet or power strip), or being able to use a switch on a power strip.

That's as opposed to trying to pull the other end of the power cord out of the AC input jack on the back of the TiVo. The fewer times you do that over the lifetime of the TiVo the better.

Before turning it off, I like to be sure it's not in the middle of anything, like downloading or processing guide data.

Then I go into the menus:

Messages and settings-restart or reset system-restart system*--do the 3 thumbs down and then hit the enter key, and as soon as the picture disappears from the screen disconnect the AC supply.

That way, when you plug it back in, it should boot up normally. You're just turning a warm boot into a cold one.

If you put it on standby and then pull the plug, when it boots up it'll go into standby, and there will be nothing on the screen, and you'll have forgotten that you put it in standby, and you'll think that it's broken and waste a lot of time trying to fix it.

*Be sure not to select anything other than restart system, because the next screen gives the same instructions for approval (3 Thumbs Down, then hit Enter) as the more destructive options, so you won't realize your mistake.

11. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Ok sounds good.

Now regarding the other stuff if I can't solder can I replace the entire power supply?

Would I have to move files from original hard drive to new one using a computer?

Do you know of any places that repair Tivo without losing my lifetime?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    the first thing you do after bootup is hit the TiVo button. If it's in standby it will come out of standby. I always do this on the Premiere I bring back from my GFs since she put's it in standby when we are finished watching.

13. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. You can buy power supplies from e-bay or Weaknees.

If you're referring to a hard drive replacement, then yes... but not like you would think.
    Before you replace the hard drive, you have to transfer the recordings to your computer using Tivo Desktop (or 3rd party equivelent) for temporary storage. Once the new hard drive is in the Tivo, you transfer them back.
    If you have to replace the Tivo hard drive because of failure, then your recordings are hosed. There is no way to recover recordings directly off the hard drive on a computer.

Weaknees offers to repair Tivos. I don't know what level they go to in the event of a failure on the motherboard, but it is there.

http://www.weaknees.com/flat-fee-tivo-repair.php

http://www.weaknees.com/s3-s4-repairs.php

14. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Are you referring to just being able to normally replace the power supply or being able to replace the power supply to fix broken capacitors?

What if i don't care about the recordings on the Tivo do I still need to do anything with a computer to replace the hard drive? It would be nice to upgrade from this 40 hour as it is now anyways since it only gets like 10 hours on best quality.

It looks like they will repair anything wrong for that flat-fee on the older Tivos like mine. Good to know!

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm saying that you can buy a power supply module and just swap it out.
    No soldering necessary, but you do have to know how to use a torx screwdriver. ;)

Yes, if you do it yourself. Basically, you have to copy the *TiVo software* onto the new hard drive.
    This can be done in Windows with WinMFS, or you can burn a boot CD of the MFS Live software.

Read up on the subject here:
    http://www.mfslive.org/fullguide.htm

Edit: For an additional cost, you can also buy new hard drives with the Tivo software pre-loaded and just swap them out.

Edit #2: Since you have a Series 2 Tivo, you would either need to find an IDE hard drive for replacement or get an IDE to SATA adapter*.

* Only certain adapters are compatible.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is there anything currently wrong with your TiVo?

If not, keep an eye on Craigslist for someone selling the same model cheap, like $10, may $20 at a maximum provided there's nothing wrong with it and the little TiVo guy hasn't come off the front panel. You might even find someone giving one away.

And it doesn't have to be a TCD540040, it can be a 540080 or a 540120--same machine, bigger hard drive.

That'll give you one you can practicing taking apart without hurting your lifetimed one or interrupting your viewing, and it'll give you a source of parts for cannibilization.

If there is something wrong with your TiVo, keep an eye on Craigslist for someone selling the same model cheap.

And familiarize yourself with the TiVo Desktop program.

17. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Have you used WinMFS before, how complicated is it in terms of how much tech knowledge required? If you buy a hard drive with Tivo pre-loaded would weaknees.com be the best option?

Nothing wrong with the Tivo except the stupid infomercials it keeps recording, which I forget how to stop. Called Tivo weeks back they said it was pre-tivo central messages but I think it might be showcase data. Still gotta look into that, sorry for the rant.

Say I buy another Tivo, how does the MAK work say if both have lifetime on them?

What do I need to learn about Tivo Desktop?

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Very little. It's a very straightforward program with a simple interface.

Well, there aren't too many others. They are bit pricey, but I have never seen anyone complain of the quality of the product. I would never consider one as an option, but anyone whose knees shake at the thought of holding a soldering iron or writing a simple script might be well served by buying one.

The MAK has nothing to do with which service plans one chooses, only with who pays for them. As long as the same person pays for both plans, they get the same MAK.

That it is a horrible program.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Desktop does have it's limitations, quirks, and annoyances, but I still find it useful.

When you install the TiVo Desktop program on your computer(s), you enter the MAK which is associated with your account. Series 2 and newer TiVos are informed by the TiVo servers what MAK is associated with their TiVo Service Numbers. It's the same MAK, because the TSNs are associated with your account. Even if you only have one TiVo and have never installed TiVo Desktop anywhere, there's still a unique MAK associated with your account.

(actually, even if you only have one or more Series 1 TiVos, there's a MAK associated with your account--the S1s just can't do anything with it.)

That MAK lets stuff on your home network, like TiVos and computers running Desktop, know that they can, subject to certain rules and conditions, share stuff.

Lifetime subs and the MAK don't really have anything to do with one another, at least not directly.

In order for the TiVo to be able to do anything on your home network it has to have a current and valid subscription of some sort. Could be lifetime, once a year*, once every 3 years*, monthly, whatever, it just can't be unsubscribed.

The MAK is basically a sort of password.

If your budgetary constraints are as severe as your first post implied, then you need to consider a "roll your own" approach to drive upgrade or replacement.

It's not terribly difficult if you have the necessary equipment, which is pretty much a computer and some extra hard drive attaching cables.

*I don't think the once a year and once every 3 years payment options are currently offered, but they might be grandfathered for some owners, the way lower monthly rates are for some.

20. MojoB

MojoB New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    My main concern in doing a hard drive upgrade myself would be downloading something off some non-mainstream site and getting malware or a virus or screwing up my computer settings.

So how does the MAK work with Tivo Desktop if I have my Tivo and I buy someone else's Tivo off Craigslist that has lifetime on it. I will have 2 different MAK's right so then do I just change the MAK within Tivo desktop every time I want to transfer from each Tivo?

Unitron what part of Tivo desktop would I want to familiarize myself with and why?