1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to map DLNA device for Tivo Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by apexadam, May 30, 2013.

1. apexadam

apexadam Tivo Late Bloomer

Jun 4, 2008
    Tri-Cities WA.
    I want my .mpeg video files folder that reside on a DLNA device on the network via Gigabit to be mapped to my Windows 7/8 Desktop so that Tivo Desktop Pro will show and serve the videos in this DLNA folder.

Why isn't this possible and why wouldn't everyone be clamoring for this easy solution to storing Terabytes of data and accessing it from any Tivo in the house?

I own 3 Tivo DVRs from Series 3 to Premiere, all have WD hard drive extenders allowing me to store TV broadcasts. Once those are full I straight copy the .Tivo files to .mpeg files and store them on the 3TB DLNA Network device.

Problem: I can't see the files from Tivo. Tivo Desktop software wont map the DLNA drive eventhough it is in my Network Folder on my desktop etc...

Windows will not create a true mapped share without setting it to "offline" mode, which for Windows means copying every file from the 3TB drive to my local harddrive--that's unacceptable and short sighted.

Am I being hamstrung on purpose? What are my options to stream the .mpeg movies that reside on my Western Digital DLNA device via the Gigabit network through my Tivo. My other devices will stream the movies, albeit with a clunky interface, using PLEX app. But I want to use my Tivo!

Please advise.
    Adam

PS. Yes I have looked for this answer throughout the forums. Confusing and unrelated questions abound.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #3 of 11
    apexadam

Jun 4, 2008
    Tri-Cities WA.
    Thanks Curious Mark for pointing me in the write direction.
    Now I have to newb my way all the hoops. It seems that Tivo Desktop Plus should simply see DLNA devices by default.

4. Jun 1, 2013 #4 of 11
    apexadam

Jun 4, 2008
    Tri-Cities WA.
    Thanks CuriousMark!

5. Jul 6, 2013 #5 of 11
    Navion1951

Navion1951 New Member

May 10, 2008
    This sucks! I have to buy a Windows PC to go with my TiVo so I can watch the stuff on my DLNA server?! How brain damaged.

6. Jul 8, 2013 #6 of 11
    jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You could buy a Linux based NAS and install Pytivo on it to serve video to your TiVo.

The TiVo does not speak DLNA nor does it natively display many of the formats DLNA transmits.

7. notaclone

notaclone New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    NYC
    JC, I have a Romio and Synology too. Is there hope?

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The world has changed dramatically form the time this thread was started, the Roamio supports it's Plex app and you can run a Plex server on your Synology server.

9. notaclone

notaclone New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks! Google failed me, and I only came up with an iOS app that did a terrible job at streaming from my SynServer.

10. Danziru

Danziru New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    NJ
    Synology owner here, and I've never been happy with Plex. It wants to transcode everything, resulting in errors on every device I try to play back on (TiVo, FireTV, Samsung TV, PlayStation, Roku). Meanwhile, the devices that support DLNA (all but TiVo) all play with no issues.

I'm using Handbrake high quality mode to m4v/mp4 files to encode (not using any "fancy" options).

So... what has everyone else's experience been? Am I missing something fundamental to make this work properly? I would still be happy if TiVo would just support plain old DLNA. I have to imagine a simple client would be... simple.

11. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Install pyTivo on your NAS, and download (NOT stream) shows easily on tivo.
    Works on my DS410 (DSM4.3) and Roamio & S3 just fine.
    There may be some way to stream w/ StreamBaby setup, but never got that advanced.

Use a networked Bluray player (or even TV) for DLNA video watching, NOT the tivo.