1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to format external drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Kipp Jones, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Kipp Jones

Kipp Jones AVS Heavy Hitter

Nov 11, 2006
    IL
    Hi,
    I replaced the internal drive in my S3 with a 1TB new drive. I had an external Toshiba 1TB drive connected to this Tivo before the upgrade. I tried reconnecting it but the S3 does not see the external drive. What can I do to get it to work? I am assuming the external drive needs to be wiped clean to work with the S3??? I have checked the esata cable, tried 2 of them and the drive powers up as normal.

Thank you.

2. Kipp Jones

Kipp Jones AVS Heavy Hitter

Nov 11, 2006
    IL
    Ok, so I found a Toshiba utility and performed a format. The Tivo sees the drive and goes through the setup and restart but the drive never installs. I have tried multiple times. Any thoughts?

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can't use a blank drive, it must have the TiVo software installed on it, for external drives it has to be WD with the correct model number.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought S3s did the formatting and installing on eSATA externals themselves without needing anything done to the drive beforehand?

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the other hand, you said you replaced the internal, but did you restore an image to it first?

When you spread out into multiple threads details get lost.