1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Force XL4 to Record HD Suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JJPrats, Nov 10, 2012.

1. JJPrats

JJPrats New Member

Nov 9, 2012
    On the Series 3 Tivo on the available Channels List I unchecked the SD channel when an equivalent HD channel was available to prevent TiVo from recording SD versions of its suggestions. I did the same thing on my new XL4 and it continues to record suggestions from channels that are unchecked.

How do I discourage the XL4 from picking up suggestions from SD channels?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If it had the suggestion scheduled before you unchecked the channel it will record them because they were already committed, after 2 weeks (the limit of the guide data) it should stop recording SD suggestions.

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I was just going to ask this on a new thread. I will try this on our new P4 and XL4. The SD is driving us crazy as it leaves the 4 tuners in a mess with SD channels we never watch. I guess it will take a while to go through the list! So far we are not sure about these suggestions as they are getting OLD shows that are not on any more as new. So, if we like one that it found, there are no more scheduled anyway!

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The new guide makes it super easy to remove channels. Much easier than going back through the menus to uncheck.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I will have to look at the guide. I did not notice that option but it would sure simplify the guide as well!

6. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You have to go left onto the channel banner, then hit select to uncheck.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK, I will look.

8. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    You can also use the grid guide instead of the TiVo guide.

9. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I can do this in grid view but not my default view. I guess I do not know what you mean by channel banner.

10. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Yes- grid view. That way you can just fly down the list of channels and eliminate as needed. Banner is probably a unclear term, but the channel name on the left is what I'm referring to.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Great. I have to use grid view. We sure have a lot of SD stations, but I will keep those that do not have an HD equivalent.

Too bad we can not tell the suggestions to ONLY get first run shows. As I said, I hate that what it is recording is so old. I have had THD's for years now and have the Suggestions turned off. My wife said we can keep it on for a month to see what we get but I do not think I will do it much longer.

12. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    If in live tv you can hit select and get a mini 3 channel grid guide.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Tangent: If you're in grid view and scroll to the left and end up with the channels on the RIGHT.. is there a way to swap it back to get the channels on the left without scrolling back to 'now'? It just looks really weird with the channels on the right.

14. sirfergy

sirfergy New Member

May 18, 2002
    Even better, sort by channel name and it's super easy to cleanup non-hd channels.

15. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OH, I can try that. So, if there is an SD chnnel and no HD channel I can keep the SD channel. I will have to see what the sort produces!

16. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I did this and you are correct as it was very easy to see the sd and hd stations. I did have a small issue though as a few stations did not delete...I had to do it twice. Then a few times it jumped to the top of the list again. Still, all seems good now!

Thank you for the tip.