1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to extract a portion of show

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Bphagan, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1 of 10
    Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    We have a number of shows that I only want to save 5 minutes or so.
    Mainly segments of animal shows my daughter wants to keep.

What is an easy way to extract just the segment of a show I want to keep?

I loaded kmttg on computer, but couldn't figure out the best way to do it.

bdog

2. Oct 7, 2013 #2 of 10
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Extract the entire thing, remove the .tivo wrapper, and then cut using your favorite program. It is not exactly easy, but not all that difficult either.

3. Oct 7, 2013 #3 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    The easiest way is to get VideoReDo. That will allow you to edit out the parts of the show you don't want and convert the .tivo files to .mpg quickly and simply. You can then join clips from separate shows together to make a longer video. You can then use the Tivo Desktop, pyTivo or KMTTG to copy the new video back to the Tivo.

If that is all you want to do you can just get the $50 version of VideoReDo. If you want to make DVDs from your Tivo videos you will want the Suite version.

Compare the versions here:
    http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

4. Oct 7, 2013 #4 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    For more elaborate tasks, you probably want a video editor; but to cut out a single clip, these are the two methods I've been using lately:

1. If you have at least two TiVos: Advance the recording to what you want as the start point. Pause it there. Move to the other TiVo, and select "Transfer from paused point". Stop the transfer when you reach the desired endpoint. You can then move the truncated recording back to the other TiVo, or to your computer.

2. Download and decrypt the whole program. Play it back, and take note of the desired start and end points (or do this on the TiVo). Then, use FFmpeg to copy the desired portion:

ffmpeg -i filename.mpg -ss 1:00:00 -t 5:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.ts

This would take a five minute clip, starting an hour into the recording. If the result isn't quite right, you can tweak the numbers and repeat, down to tenths of seconds if necessary. You can also use the TiVo-to-TiVo method to do the initial editing, and fine-tune it with the FFmpeg technique.

5. Oct 8, 2013 #5 of 10
    Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I think I will use kmttg to grab the video and decrypt.
    Then use Handbrake to convert. It has the ability to select the start and stop times to convert.

bobfrank, I checked out the VideoRedo but I am a Mac user.

bdog

6. Oct 8, 2013 #6 of 10
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I've done this a few times depends on how exact you want the segment.

If you have 2 TiVo's pause playback of the program at the start of the section you want then from the other TiVo start a transfer from the pause point watch and FF as needed then stop the transfer at the end of the section.

7. Oct 8, 2013 #7 of 10
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's what Parallels and Boot Camp are for. ;)

8. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Me too, and the need for VideoReDo is pretty much the only reason I have parallels installed.

9. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    I don't have Parallels or boot camp installed on my Mac.
    I really don't need this much so I will go with kmttg/Handbrake for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

bdog

10. javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle