1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Enable Recording on Sony SVR2000 Series 1 w/o sub?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gregusan, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1 of 47
    gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I recently purchased three SVR-2000 Sony Series 1 Tivos for friends and family thinking they were the same as my other Phillips Tivos, which allow recording by time and channel, manually, without a subscription.

I use ANTENNA ONLY, and know how to run the guided setup to set it up for antenna and make the call for local channels, etc.

I can view live TV and time-shifing on live TV, however, it won't allow recording live TV, nor will it allow scheduled recording by time and channel.

How can I enable this so it will work like any other NON-Sony Series 1 and let me record without a sub?

Thank you sincerely, Greg

2. Jun 2, 2008 #2 of 47
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    IF it is manufactured before October 2001, just call TiVos's CSRs by phone.

Units manufactured during/after October 2001 aren't eligible for free recording.

3. Jun 3, 2008 #3 of 47
    gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Thanks for that info, classicsat.

Bummer! Both of the ones I just got are mfg. AFTER Oct. 2001.

I thought I had read that ALL series one could record without a sub.

Is there ANY way to modify, hack, change the sofware, or whatever, to make it record like other series one's can?

What if I cloned the drive from my working Phillips HDR 312 Series One and then installed in the Sony. Would that work?

Or does anyone have an easier, better solution?

Thanks.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #4 of 47
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
  5. Jun 3, 2008 #5 of 47
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It has nothing to do with the HDD, it has to do with the TSN (they look that up and know), and original PROM/software version.

Putting Philips software in a Sony is a bad idea. At minimum the remote won't work. At most, the servers could balk.

Anything you would do to make those units record without sub would be considered theft of service, which is not condoned here.

The only way to get what you want is to change to TiVo units manufactured before October 2001, Pioneer or Toshiba DVD combo Series 2s, or non-TiVo DVRs that require no subscription.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 47
    gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    OK.... I just recieved another SVR-2000, Mfg. Date December 2000. This would be prior to the October 2001 date mentioned above.

Yet, it still won't allow recording without a sub. like other Series one's will.

Am I missing something I need to do?

I ran the guided setup for "antenna", got all the correct channels, etc. It works fine for viewing TV but still won't allow recording.

Is there a way to enable this on a PRE-Oct. 2001 SVR-2000?

Thanks again for your help...

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 47
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    :up:

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 47
    David_NC

David_NC New Member

May 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Something else you need to check - look on the Account Information page and see which version of software it is running. Version 2.0 will not let you record - just have it connect to Tivo and it will download 3.0 and re-enable the manual record. (Someone correct me if I am wrong about this on an SVR-2000 - only have a Phillips here)

9. Jun 5, 2008 #9 of 47
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The problem is that if a Clear and Delete Everything has been done, that clears the "unsubbed recording ok" flag on qualified units. The solution in the past has been to PM TiVoJerry with the TSN, wait for his response, force a "daily call", and that should do it. If the TiVo CSRs can do this now, so much the better.

Jerry has said that "most" SVR-2000s do not qualify for this, but I believe he is mistaken in this. Most shipped with version 1.3, which was ok for unsubbed recording. A few at the end of the manufacturing run shipped with an updated ROM and 2.0, and do not qualify. The version currently running is not relevant.

10. gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the help and info!

Is there any way to tell which ROM version my units were shipped with?

Two were manufactured December 2001, and one is mfg. December 2000.

In the meantime, I will call the CSR's from the Tivo screen and see if they can set it up the Dec. 2000 model to record.

The all have software version 3.0 something...the same as my Phillips Tivo.

Thanks again.. you guys are really helpful.

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You'll call the CSR's from the TiVo screen? :confused:

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Version 3.0 is what would be the latest for those boxes. One way that might give you a clue is to open the box and look at the disk drive. If it is the original 30GB drive, it may have a label or stamp on it with the TiVo software version number. I don't know of another way to tell on your own.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There may be a version number on the PROM label (the one near the middle of the front, the one nearer the right back is the PROM modem chip).

14. gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Is there another place I should get the CSR phone number from? I said "from the Tivo screen", meaning the nag screen you get when you try to record and it says "call tivo at 877-367-8486". That's what I meant.

Thanks for tips on finding the PROM version, I'll take the top of and take a look.

Just wondering, could the Sony Tivo CSR's be able to tell what prom version the units are?

Thanks again for your help.

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    "Sony TiVo CSRs"? No such thing. TiVo has the list.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You have to expect that around here when you word something so poorly.

You can't call from your tivo screen (or phone book or your hand or a business card or a cocktail napkin) but you can call using the number on your tivo screen (or phone book or your hand or a business card or cocktail napkin)

17. gregusan

gregusan New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    To all who have helped me on this:

I called the Tivo CSR's today as you suggested, and everyone I spoke to from tech support to customer service was lost and clueless as could be not only about how to enable the SVR2000 to record, but they also sounded like they really didn't even know what an SVR2000 was!

The Tivo "service numbers" on the back are valid with Tivo (they could find the accounts although closed), so surely they must aknowledge these ARE tivo units. They tried to say that I must call Sony for support, until I got them to reallize these ARE Tivo units, and I was calling the only number displayed by the Sony unit to call for support.

Do you guys have any other advice how I can make these units record? I got three of them as gifts for people and didn't expect this to happen.

Thanks.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Have you sent a PM to TiVoJerry?

19. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    Over time the amount of knowledge we have to train our agents on has grown to an amount that precludes us being able to teach them about this particular situation. In general they are trained to provide support for whatever we as a company deliver to the DVR via the service connection. Basically if it's not a billing or lineup issue, they may tend to refer you to Sony or Philips for further support. If anyone is indeed reaching those companies, I have not seen any communication from them asking for units to be auth'd to record manually.

It's faster if you just send me a PM with your TSN. I usually get less than 10 of these a year, so it's really not something we're going to train all agents on. The knowledge article is there but not always easy for them to find.

For posterity's sake, the internal code currently assigned to this issue is 14-29-02. You won't find any info if you search the for this number, but if you give that # to our support agents, they will find the internal instructions on what to do in this situation.

20. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA