1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to control an AV receive with separate On/Off buttons using TiVo remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rrandyy, Jul 23, 2013.

1. rrandyy

rrandyy New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    My setup includes a TV and a Harman Kardon receiver. I want to use the remote to:

• Turn the TV on and off
    • Turn the receiver on and off
    • Control the volume of the receiver

Unfortunately, the receiver's remote has separate On and Off buttons. I am able to program the TiVo remote to Turn the TV On/Off and the receiver On (or Off, but not both).

I want to push the power button on the remote and have both the TV and the receiver turn on. Then push the power button again and have both the TV and the receiver turn off.

Are there any practical solutions to this? I've tried programming the Tivo power button on the remote to perform (1) TV Power, (2) Receiver On, then (3) Receiver Off in the hopes that the receiver wouldn't pick up the Off signal as it is starting up. However, the receiver is too quick and this did not work.

Any suggestions? Any way to create a macro on the TiVo remote? E.g., alternate the power button between On and Off commands for the receiver?
  2. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    As long as the TiVo remote you have has the IR learning ability, you can always sacrifice the Mute button's function to act as the Power Off button for the receiver. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it's at least a workaround.
  3. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Sorry but none of those articles address the situation where a TV, receiver etc use separate unique codes for on and off.

The programmable Tivo remotes have 4 programmable buttons. That's it. 4. Use them as you wish. Many have been asking Tivo to include a few more programmable buttons for a LONG time and thus the popularity of the Harmony line of remotes.

I use a bit of If...Then programming in my home automation system to control our home theater startup and shutdown sequence. It mostly works but would still be much higher WAF if there were just a few more programmable buttons on the TiVo remotes.
  4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere in the USA
  5. rrandyy

rrandyy New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank you for the replies.

Krellion, I will consider using the mute button as "Receiver Off." However, this isnt as elegant as I prefer.

HomieG, I had tried programming TV Power + AV On + AV Off, but it did not work. The AV would always follow the last command it received.

If I ever do figure something out that works well, I'll post it here. If others have a better setup than already suggested, please let us know!
  6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Thanks for pointing this out. My Samsung ME40A has a separate on and off on the remote and this trick with the gol remote worked like a charm
  7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 New Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I ended up leaving the receiver on all the time and just pressing the mute button to turn the sound off when I had everything going thru mu Onkyo receiver before the HDMI part quit. I figure the Tivo and my Comcast DVR's stay on all the time so whats another unit.