1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to control a Roamio and an older Tivo with only the Roamio remote.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ThAbtO, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need to have all the Tivos' remote address in System Information set to a different address for this to work, 0 is just an address that uses all 1-9 addresses. The Roamio needs the remote address set also.

It is best to use a remote with a 1-2 switch to set beforehand.

If instructions are needed, go to:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/kw/Remote address

Be sure you are out of the System Information screen on both Tivos, or they might get changed.

Now, on to setting the Roamio remote.

Press and hold Tivo + C to switch to IR mode. Set the remote using Tivo + Pause (from above) to set the address of the other TiVo. Remote should blink red on button presses. Done. You can now control the other Tivo under this mode.

To get back to controlling the Roamio, Press and hold TiVo + D. Remote blinks yellow under RF mode remote use.

The end result is roamio is under RF control (TiVo + D) and the other is on IR (TiVo + C) and you can just switch between the two.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    So you'd need to switch between IR and RF to control one or the other. I prefer using a remote with a 1/2 switch (which is what I do for the two units in the bedroom).

3. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Switching between IR/RF is actually a clever way to address this issue. :up:

I was bummed when TiVo moved away from the remotes with the DVR switch since it was so useful for controlling the three TiVos we have used for years. I just got a six tuner Roamio to replace all of them, so hopefully the current remote will do the job until six tuners turns out to be insufficient. :eek:

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just use a Harmony remote. At one time I had half a dozen TiVos programmed into a Harmony One, all with a different remote code.

But if you want to like to use the TiVo remote, and only have two to deal with at the same location. I think the easiest solution is just to use two separate TiVo remotes. At least this is what i do in my main setup since I want to use a Slide Pro with my Roamio Pro and also use a Slide Pro with my Roamio BAsic in the same room.

5. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu New Member

Jan 29, 2016
    The link: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/kw/Remote address is not found, any idea where it might have been moved/archived?

Thanks

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
  7. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu New Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Scott, you come through again. Thanks so much for sharing that link. And, here's the one for two TiVo's using two remotes: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Controlling-2-TiVo-DVRs-with-Separate-Remotes

TiVo Community is a great group. I'm learning a lot here.

Noku