1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clone a failing TiVo drive to another drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ShinySteelRobot, May 22, 2012.

1. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi all,

Not long ago my TiVo drive started to fail, so I replaced the 2TB EARX drive with a 2TB EURS drive. I wanted to keep all my programs, season passes, etc, and I wanted to perform limited error recovery at the same time. Some posts here at TiVo Community led me to dd_rescue, which led me to ddrescue, but the details were a bit sparse until I figured it all out.

Long story short, I wrote a concise but fairly detailed article article about how I copied the failing drive to the new drive and performed error recovery. Here's the article link:

I hope it helps in case others face the same problem

Note the replacement drive must be the same size or larger.
  2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    I skimmed through it and bookmarked it. Interesting. Thanks.
  3. Wammer

Wammer New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I also have a 2TB EARS which is failing (recorded and live TV randomly freeze, random reboots, etc.) and just received a 2TB EURS today. Your timing couldn't be better. I plan to follow your guide. Thanks much!
  4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Can't one just use the jmfs boot disk and do a copy, no add space or expand ? I never tried this but it should work.
  5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I suppose you could, but the MFS Live cd with

gives you control of various parameters that can increase your chances of success.
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    logicsector.com appears to be down. Hope SSR is okay.
  7. subVert

subVert New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    I just did that to rescue my perpetually rebooting 2TB TiVo. Worked like a charm.
  8. sigocpt

sigocpt New Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My Series 2 took a drive a few weeks ago. I am going to have to read this guide to see if I can copy off my failed drive.

Otherwise, I have a line on a backup image for my unit.
  9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    If you're going to need to use MFS Live with that image, then the MFS Live cd already has

on it, which will do the job just fine.

I recommend using the

options if going to a target drive with the same LBA number as the source.

If you're using the WinMFS version of the image (ends in .tbk), you should still have a copy of the MFS Live cd on hand for the times when it comes in handy.