1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to access Tivo recordings on the road via 3G

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jlfn99, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jlfn99

jlfn99 New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi,

I have a Tivo Premier with an external card from comcast (I do not have a cable box from comcast). I want to access my recordings on the road via 3G on an iphone.

I've heard Slingbox will do the job but I have not been able to find a definitive answer on how to do it.

In other words, if I buy an Slingbox HD-Pro, and using the Slingbox app on the iphone, when I am the road only with 3G could I select any of the recording on the Tivo box and stream it to the iphone?

Any help very much appreciated!

2. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Yes, Slingbox will work.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A Hava HD or Vulkano(which is what they are called now) will work as well. I use my Hava to watch CNN from one of my Premieres when I'm at my GFs house. Since she only has OTA with her TiVos.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

4. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    I have Slingbox HD and I love it.

The downside is $30 per player app, and you don't get one free. So if you have an iPhone and and iPad, that's $60.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With the Hava the app is free and works with 3G and WiFi. They block it's use with 4G. With the newer Vulkano models, it's a paid app. But it works with 4G as well as 3G and WiFi.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

6. Fuzz

Fuzz New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Maryland
    Also, the Vulkano app works for both the iPhone and iPad, so you don't need a separate paid app for each.

7. jlfn99

jlfn99 New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback.

However with Slingbox it seems I can only "watch" live tv. I also wanted to see if I can access previously recordings, remotely. Is this possible?

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you are watching from a TiVo, whether it's a SlingBox or a Vulkano you should be able to view whatever the TiVo outputs. And that includes a program the TiVo recorded.