1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How reliable are the Elite boxes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gweempose, Apr 14, 2012.

1. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I haven't been very active on the forums lately, so I'm not really up to speed on the current status of the Elites. I'd like to buy another TiVo, and the idea of having four tuners in one box sounds like it would really come in handy. At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with my two Premier boxes. They aren't perfect, but overall I like them more than my S3s or THDs. Are the Elites as reliable as the older two-tuner Premieres?

2. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Oops! It looks like I may have been a bit premature with this thread. I just skimmed the long "Elite user experience log" thread, and it looks like people are having all sorts of problems with their Elite boxes. I guess I'm probably better off with another 2-tuner Premiere. I'll probably just buy the cheaper one and then upgrade the drive myself. I see people have mentioned buying them for $49. Does anyone know where I can find one at this price?

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Some people are having major problems, many are not. People with tuning adapters seem to be more likely to have issues. I'm on FiOS and have two Elites. They are reliable in my setups.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    Same here with FiOS and my two Elites.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    There have been people on FIOS reporting issues with losing channels as well. I don't think it's unique to people with TAs. Seems that Elites are very picky with signal levels and optimal signal levels may be a different range than for prior TiVo units.

6. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Have had mine now up and running for a day and it's working flawlessly.

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I haven't had any major issues. No reboots, no channel tuning issues. It actually tunes better than my original Premiere, which couldn't pick up a couple of higher frequency channels no matter what I tried.

I am noticing a rather slight jitter in the video while watching something and downloading a web video at the same time, though.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That has been reported by some people when a fast download occurs.

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I've had two in the past year ith problems 90% of the tiime with programing not recording, contant reboots on it's own, remoe fails to work an loss of cable channels starting with the channels in the 800's on down to the HBO, starz an encore...

have had the TA replaced three times this year alone in adition the cable cards

10. chiguy50

chiguy50 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I receive Comcast digital cable via CableCARD (no TA). I replaced two S3 HD's with a Premiere and an Elite about one month ago with no major issues. Based on my user experience I would highly recommend the Elite.

11. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Well this is encouraging, as it's the same setup I have at my house (Comcast and no TA). If I do go the Elite route, it might make more sense to buy one locally, so I can easily return it if I need to. I live about five minutes from Abt, and they have great customer service. The only thing that concerns me is what happens if I add lifetime to an Elite unit and then exchange it for a regular Premiere unit a couple months later. Will it be a hassle?

12. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    If you add lifetime to any box, TiVo will let you transfer it to another box within 30 days. Some people say they have had success with it after that time, others haven't from what I read. I transferred transferring my Lifetime service on a Premiere to an Elite and was told NO.

13. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This is what worries me. I am quite confident that Abt would let me return or exchange the box 2-3 months down the road, but TiVo may give me a hassle with transferring the lifetime. Perhaps I should just go monthly on it until I am sure I am going to keep it.

One of the main things I am hoping to achieve from the Elite is streaming from my other Premiere boxes. It sounds like some people are having issues with this. Given how much the Elites cost, I think I may just buy another Premiere.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why not try it out? It's certainly better than having two Premieres if you have no issues. My two Elites are working well. And I would not want to go back to using four, two tuner Premieres in their place.

15. ScaryMike

ScaryMike New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Madison, WI
    My elite has been nothing but a pleasure. Knock on wood.

Edit: charter cable with tuning adapter.

16. ligand

ligand New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Mine as well... FiOS in NY and it has been rock solid.

17. chiguy50

chiguy50 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The streaming feature has been a real joy! It's such a vast improvement over having to transfer a recording from one box to another.

Any electronics purchase could entail glitches, but I think you are being overly skittish. If your box (whether S3, Premiere or Elite) has a defect, or if there are compatibility issues in your set-up, you should be able to detect it within the first 30 days. Abt is an excellent retailer; if you live close by that's a great option.

BTW, I've got PLS on all my boxes.

18. sirfracas

sirfracas New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    It's locked up one time since I bought it when it came out.

I'm on Comcast with no tuning adapter. I couldn't be more happier with it.

19. Mgalin

Mgalin New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    First one i had with 14.2 on it, worked like crap.. had trouble activating and would continually reboot if a cablecard was plugged in... Once it got replaced, the replacement (which was new) -came right up, activated immediately, software updated and has worked great.

I think i've come across quirky crap with the HDUI.. e.g. wierd cases not being able to tune a channel... but nothing big that hasnt' resolved itself..

I do think they have a long way to do with the HDUI... while pretty, it's only 70% implemented and not the fastest.

20. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    My daughter and her family surprised me for my birthday with a Premiere Elite weekend before last. I installed it and got its CableCARD configured last Monday. At first, every channel I expected to receive was there but some time late Monday night or early Tuesday morning all of the HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax Plus Pack channels that I was getting on Monday were no longer available. Those channels were:

812 HBO Signature
    814 HBO Comedy
    814 HBO Zone
    823 Thriller MAX
    826 5 Star MAX
    834 Showtime Extreme
    848 The Movie Channel eXtra

After working with Cox OKC for the rest of the week, they said that my missing channels were MPEG-4 channels, that their tuning frequency had been changed, and TiVo had told them that the Elites would not be able to receive the channels with the new frequency until a software update was rolled out, probably in late April or early May. I have not yet called TiVo about the problem but that's next. I am running version 20.2.0a-01-2-758 of the TiVo software.

Other than the mysterious disappearance of Cox OKC's Plus Pack premium movie channels, my Elite hasn't missed a beat since I got it up and running. As others have noted, the HD user interface is a little slow but I don't consider that a disqualifying defect.