1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often does TiVo NEED to update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hi8, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    I've got two TiVo(s) (OLED S3) that are going to be setup in our vacation home in Florida.

I really don't want to leave them powered up 24/7 because the home will not be occupied for months on end...

I'm going to be connecting a timer or a Belkin WeMo to each to power each TiVo up to get it's daily database update.

Would once a week be enough or can I go once a month?

2. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I would think once a week would be fine. Typically the TiVo loads guide data out about 2 weeks.

3. FJFbHj356y

FJFbHj356y PeterNE

Apr 28, 2008
    If you aren't going to be recording anything, why even power up the devices?

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, if you're not going to be recording anything, I think you can go as long as 180 days.
    IIRC, A Tivo only needs to connect every 180 days in order to keep the subscription status active.

5. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    So you have guide data available when you walk back in the door when you first return to the house.

6. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    put it on a timer

Turn it on every monday morning at 2am for 4 hours

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The 180 days is only if a Tivo has a lifetime subscription that qualifies other Tivos for the discounted MSD subscription rate. As long as no other Tivos depend on it for MSD, a lifetime tivo can go indefinitely w/o connecting and nothing will be affected by it. When the Tivo eventually does make a connection again, it will still have lifetime.

8. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    If you are not going to use the Tivos whatsoever for several months at a time then I would suggest that you unplug them completely during that time span as opposed to turning them on and off again every week or every month.

TC