1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you pay for your cable card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by OdepiTy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. OdepiTy

OdepiTy New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Tried looking all over but could not find. Getting xfinity and not sure how much they charge a month for a cable card.

Does anyone know? How much does your provider charge?
  2. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    COX San Diego charges $2/month for each. I have three M cards in two HD's and one Premiere.
  3. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Fios - I have two older sCards @ $2.99 ea but when I called about upgrading to mCards they said $3.99 ea.
  4. heyted

heyted New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    I have Comcast Xfinity in Florida. The first CableCARD is free with Digital Starter.
  5. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    It varies in different franchise areas because some may have franchise-controlled pricing they have to abide by. There's also a certain level of variety you'll find even in the same market, depending on the levels of service a subscriber may maintain and/or how long they've been a subscriber.

In general it tends to be about $2-$3/CableCARD except that if you have a single device that needs two cards, the second card for that device is usually no additional charge.

This cost is in addition to additional outlet fees, which again may vary based on services you subscribe to, but generally would be somewhere around $8-$10/outlet from what I've seen.

When you provide your own equipment that the CableCARD plugs into, you also end up getting a credit, usually about $2.50 per CableCARD.

I have the HD Premier XF bundle (which is basically everything, but not the one including the whole-house DVR package) and provide all my equipment and use nothing from Comcast except for a modem/voice rental. I have 6 CableCARD's that cost me $0.00 each, and have a credit for 4 of them at $2.50 each, and don't have any additional outlet charges, plus an additional $15/month credit "because I asked" after my last promotional rate had ended. And I just got a letter a week or so ago to call about there being a package offer I could select to save money.

So ultimately, the price is whatever they happen to give it to you at, and probably varies most based on which specific franchise area you're in. :)
  6. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    It does vary greatly, but looking at my household's bill here in San Jose, Comcast Xfinity provides us a cable box with one sealed s-card free and charges $1.10 per month for each of the removable m-cards in our two Premiere 4/XL4/Elites, then credits $2.50 per month for "customer-owned equipment". So it looks like Comcast is actually paying us $0.30 each month for having TiVo. I'm not calling them to ask why!
  7. Mike1973

Mike1973 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    $2.50 here in Rochester, NY. Tuning adapter is no charge.
  8. news4me2

news4me2 New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I pay Verizon FIOS $3.99 per M-Card in the DC area
  9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    $2.50 each here
  10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    One M-Card, Comcast, Free
  11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak New Member

Aug 25, 2001
    $3.99 here on FiOS.

I would also include Digital Outlet fee which on FiOS is $0, but I know some insurances charge it on top of the CC.
  12. moyekj

moyekj Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I've seen some outrageous Additional Outlet fees posted here over the years. I'm glad for me Cox does not charge anything for additional outlets so it's just $1.99 per CableCard for me. I guess if/when TiVo releases a 6 tuner unit + Mini with dynamic tuner allocation it should provide long term savings for those paying outrageous AOL and/or CableCard fees right now because of multiple units.
  13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    $1.99/month -- Mediacom
  14. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Vegas Boy TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    I think it's $5 per month
  15. smithken31100

smithken31100 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    You don't always get a credit. I have Brighthouse in Michigan, they don't include equipment in the price of their packages. If you get a cable box from them there will be a separate charge on your bill for the cable box.

I'm being charged $2.95 per month for an M-card and nothing for the tuning adapter.
  16. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    $3.99 per card, I have 5
    No break for the first one, or for the 2nd in an S3

Still love the fact I can have Tivo as my DVRs
  17. HerronScott

HerronScott Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    I have Comcast (Xfinity) in Virginia. First CableCard free and then 2nd card in the same device is $1.15 (original S3 OLED that needs 2 CableCards). My second TiVo on the same TV (also an S3 OLED) is charged 2 x $1.15 for 2 CableCards. I also get a $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment and no outlet charge.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    On Comcast you will have no idea what they will charge per card after the first (the first card should be free) until you get them. Could be anywhere from zero to $9.95 per card.

And better yet, the guy right behind you might get a different price.
  19. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    I think we're paying about $10 before $2.50 credit for owning our own equipment. With the first card free.
  20. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    How does Comcast get away with that? Several FCC complaints are in order.

"Price CableCARDs uniformly and disclose fees prominently.
    Cable operators must price CableCARD rental fees uniformly across a cable system whether the CableCARD is used in a leased set-top box or a retail device. Cable operators must prominently list the CableCARD fee as a line item both on their websites (in a manner that is readily accessible to the public) and on their annual rate cards. At a subscriber’s request, they also must provide such information orally or in writing. See 47 C.F.R. §§ 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b)."​