1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many TiVo Minis can you connect to a Premiere 4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by neo_sapien, Sep 10, 2013.

1. neo_sapien

neo_sapien New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    When the TiVo Mini first came out, you could only connect 2 of them to a TiVo Premiere 4, due to a software issue. It was said that in a future update you would be able to connect 3. Has that update been released, enabling this new functionality yet?

I have a TiVo Premiere 4, 2 TiVo Minis, and a rented cable box. I am looking forward to replacing the rented cable box with a third TiVo Mini.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    A few people here have already connected 3 Minis. The limit with the 4-tuner boxes is that only up to 2 Minis can watch live TV simultaneously. But you can connect 3 if you want... and any 2 of them can do Live TV at the same time.

The dynamic tuner allocation software fix is expected pretty soon, however Tivo seemingly wants to make sure there are 2 tuners available to the DVR itself, so all 4-tuner boxes may still be fixed at 2 simultaneous live TV streams max.

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    As a point I am now testing out a Roamio Plus with 5 Minis and was surprised that I could tune each of the 5 Minis to a different channel, when I went to the Roamio it did show that 5 tuners were in use by other TiVos, I could only get to one tuner on the Roamio itself.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Ah, that's good to know.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So if you can grab 5 of the 6 tuners from a Roamio what possible reason can they have for preventing a 2 tuner from being the host once the DTA feature hits the Premiere platform? Their original argument was that they wanted the minimum requirement of being able to record one thing while watching another on the main box. It seems they've eliminated that requirement with DTA.

I know all the marketing material has always said that the Mini would only ever work with a 4 tuner host, but I actually have a practical reason for wanting to have it hosted by a 2 tuner. We still have 30 or so analog only stations and the 2 tuner Premiere is the last TiVo to support analog channels. I would like to put a Mini in the guest room, where I don't currently have cable, but our main guests are usually my Nieces and Nephew and all the kids channels are still analog.

6. neo_sapien

neo_sapien New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ah, so there should be no problem with my proposed setup right now. Only 1 tuner would be allowed to be shared with the 3 Minis, and the Premiere 4 would reserve 3 tuners for itself. I don't use the Minis very often, so there's not much demand for tuners with them.

7. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    With the new software update, which now has dynamic tuner allocation, has anyone been able to tune 3 separate Minis when connecting to a single Premiere 4?

8. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yes on an XL4.