1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many people have the Tivo Stream?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Shanezam203, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    At 1st I couldn't find a huge use for it, but I may be able to use it with my iPad in areas I don't have a TV. How many people have one on here and how do you like it?

Shane

2. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    That's what I use it for primarily, watching via iPad in my home office, and copying shows to my iPad for offline viewing during travels.

Worth every penny.

3. cmaas

cmaas New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Love it.

I actually decommissioned an old Series 2 Tivo (even though it had lifetime) and TV in my gym and stream to an ipad instead. Gives me access to all the channels and HD shows that the Series 2 was missing. And saves energy - on the 2 and the TV also, which was a standby hog.

Also download a few shows to iphone for my waiting / warm-up, etc. time for my kids sports and such.

4. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    The only complaint I've had about it is when there's multiple recordings going on and/or transfers to iPad etc. - the app doesn't seem to buffer and/or adjust the quality accordingly, skips/pauses frequently. :(

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    In case you don't know this, you can *DOWNLOAD* to the iPad, and still watch it WHILE it's downloading. That seems (single anecdote) more reliable than streaming it.

So e.g. start downloading one or more shows, and very quickly, you can start watching that show.. (you can start watching right away, but just like transferring between Tivos, you sometimes have a pause at the beginning.)

There IS a bug where it will start playing the show AGAIN when all transfers have finished (that's my total guess), so you get audio of two things playing at once… and if you hit DONE on your show, the app crashes.

so it's buggy, but it works and is useful to be able to play WHILE downloading. In *that* respect, "it just works". In other respects (like the crash above), it doesn't.

1) it also doesn't remember that I ALWAYS want to start in My Shows. I have virtually never used the left item that it starts on

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I use mine ever night to watch TV in bed (no TV in the bedroom) and my wife uses it to watch TV in the kitchen when she's doing chores. Love it, totally worth the price for me.

Dan

7. Snake Plissken

Snake Plissken New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    That's my primary use for it. That and for shows my 4 year old likes that can't be bought from iTunes.

8. MathiasRex

MathiasRex New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I haven't gotten it yet but am pretty sure I will. Appreciate everyone's input and I'll have realistic expectations.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There would be alot more people with a stream if it would work with Android devices. Is there any update on when the stream will be able to be used with Android devices? I would have bought one a long time ago if they already did.

10. phydeauxman

phydeauxman New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    As soon as they provide support for Windows...I will get one.

11. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    I use mine primarily for loading shows on to watch while I'm at the gym on the elliptical or bike.

12. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Thousands of Android users have been trying to give TiVo money for one of these Stream things for months, myself among them.

They just don't want it though. They are too busy trying to make even more incomplete products that irritate existing customers who are desperately trying to throw money at them than they are trying to fully deploy support for their current line of products.

Facepalm.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    [​IMG]

I've actually done some development work for TiVo before and I will tell you that most of these auxiliary apps, like TiVo Desktop and the iOS and Android apps, are outsourced to 3rd party development houses. There just isn't enough regular work for these apps to retain in house staff.

Also I mentioned this in another thread but here it is again... The Stream uses a technology called Encrypted HLS for protected streaming. They are required to use a technology like this to get approval for the device from Cable Labs. Android only supports Encrypted HLS in v4.0+. Until very recently there were only a few tablets running Android 4.0+. The Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus line have changed that, but both of those were released relatively recently. Prior to that the only viable market for a device using Encrypted HLS was iOS.

Now from what little we've been told it sounds like they didn't start working on Android support until a month or so after the Stream was released. Most likely in response to the popularity of the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus tablets which run an OS capable of supporting the Stream. But development takes time, especially when you have to schedule time with a 3rd party development house during the holidays.

The Stream does exactly what it was advertised to do. Just because it doesn't currently work on your OS of choice doesn't mean it's a bad product or that they failed.

Dan