1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many cablecards needed for FiOS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by headless chicken, Aug 28, 2012.

1. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I have an upgraded 1TB Series3 (648-0001-8020-B01B). Can I get away with one M-cablecard when I switch to FiOS from Cablevision? I want to maintain dual tuner functionality.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    My original Series 3 still requires two M-cards to support dual-tuner functionality.

3. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ugh. So I'm going to be charged for two again even though it's technically only utilizing the capability of one multi-stream card?

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    yep, original OLED S3's will always require 2 cards, if you only have one they become a single tuner device.

Still a decent trade in my book, I love my S3

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Series 3 (TCD648) requires the use of 2 cable cards, type does not matter. It is the predecessor to the Tivo HD (TCD652) which can use 2 single or 1 multi stream cable cards.

6. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Okay, that's what I thought. Perhaps I can talk FiOS into only charging for one card because they're both going to be used on the same unit. I know Cablevision charged per card.

7. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Knowing how many others have entered the "Twilight Zone" of Verizon billing, can you only imagine the discussion of trying to persuade someone to give you one card for free, or better, see how they explain it in the antiquated billing system? This seems like a situation begging for a headache (no disrespect in any way meant toward the previous poster).

I mention this because I for grins walked into a local Verizon Plus store last weekend and just asked for the new "n" rated router. I got one for free just for asking (they sell them to others in most cases) but was told to bring back the old router (I've only got three of them to choose from and apparently they aren't aware that once out of contract that you have ownership of the router). I complied however due to their generosity by returning my old D-Link 624 router from the NIM days. The lady asked if I wanted a receipt and couldn't understand why I didn't need one. They didn't even have my name!

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    <chuckle>

Well, at the very least you can be contented in the fact you kept your word. There is value in that.