1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long will Dtv Tivo/DVR allow playback after sat disconnect?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mitkraft, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mitkraft

mitkraft New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    I'm switching from Dtv to Cable and was curious as to how long I have before my HR10-250 and my Dtv DVR (Hr22 I think?) will allow me to finish watching the programming I've already recorded. Will they allow this indefenitly? Should I leave the sat connections in place or do I need to disconnect them before terminating my service?

I just don't want to terminate my service and then loose the ability to watch the stuff I've recorded. It might take a few weeks to get to it all.

Thanks!

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I don't know about the DTV DVR but the HR10-250 should let you play back recorded programming indefinitely. (You'll have to press the TiVo/DirecTV button to bypass the searching for satellite and get into the menus; but your shows will still be there)

I've got some series 2 DTiVos (standard def) that have been sitting around for years after I canceled service and I could still watch whatever's on them. (If I plugged them back in and the hardware hasn't died :))

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    As long as the access card is present.

4. mitkraft

mitkraft New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Awesome, thank you both for the info!

Does that apply to the DirectTV DVR as well as the HR10-250?

Thanks!

Looking forward to joining the REAL Tivo ownwer ranks again!

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No - the DirecTV DVRs will not play recordings without active service.

6. mitkraft

mitkraft New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Aha, good to know. So I need to be completely done watching everything on my non-tivo DTV DVR before I cancel service is that correct?

Darn it! That's why I hate a device with no extraction capabilities.

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  8. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Well that's funny...I've got TWO HR20-100's that have been disco'd since last September - & they play all the existing recordings just fine to this day.

The key is, you MUST disconnect the DVR(s) from the dish, BEFORE you shut the service off. Once you do this, you should have NO problems playing existing recordings...

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    And you've never had to reboot/reset those HR20's in 6 months? Once they're reset, you'll be stuck trying to acquire a satellite signal.

10. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Well yes I have; several times in fact - particularly since I moved to a new house in December. ;)
    Sorry to tell you, but that's more FUD that people keep spreading around - once they reboot & you get "SFS", you simply press LIST & all your recordings are there to playback as usual. Matter of fact, now that these POS NO longer get all the bloatware that comes down the sat stream, they are running BETTER than they ever did!

I even tested this BEFORE I pulled the plug on D* - since I actually had multiple D* receivers, I simply disconnected 1 HR20 from the sat feed for 2 months; I also unplugged & rebooted them a couple times at the end of 2 months, just for good measure. No prob whatsoever playing back recordings - anyone can try this themselves & see the results.

Since D* is NO longer taking back HR20's, it made my decision to dump them (& their leased POS HR20's they refused to replace on their dime) a LOT easier. Can now finish watching 2 TB's worth of recorded shows at my leisure... :D

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    I have two R22's not connected to sat since July, and still can see all recordings. And had a THR22 with shows available for 5 months until I shipped it back to Directv.

12. mitkraft

mitkraft New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    THANK YOU GUYS! For volunteering this information. I'm all switched to xfinity and Tivo Premiere but hadn't canceled Dtv yet because of that one DVR with just a few shows I'd like to archive. Now I'll disconnect the Sat and make sure it remains playable and go ahead and cancel D so I can stop paying them.

13. SouthTivo

SouthTivo New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    The South
    Eeek. I Just kicked DirecTV out of the house and switched to the Dish Hopper product -which is quite good, actually.

But I always promised myself I would go back and burn DVDs from the old DirecTivos. Some of the recordings go back 6-8 years probably.

I hope the access card is NOT required for an SD-DVR40 or an R10 to do playback, because DTV made me send the access cards back. They're gone. Almost afraid to hook it back up and find out.

BTW, after 12 years as a DirecTV customer who paid his bill on time, all the time, they didn't even try to keep me. They were actually rude. Disappointed it ended that way.

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, the access card is not required. You'll get a nag message periodically, though.

15. SouthTivo

SouthTivo New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    The South
    Well, it does play back without a card or subscription. However "nag message periodically" is an understatement.

There is a constant "Receiver ID #### Insert access card" message that takes up the so-called "lower third" of the screen. The message only goes away when in the DirecTV or List menus. It looks like this image from Weaknees:

[​IMG]

So this nag overlay will limit the quality and point of trying to dump this video to DVD. Just going to end up with "Insert access card" on everything. Sad.

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Any access card will do, so if you have one from another receiver you can insert that. However. my recollection is that this message goes away after a while.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Does the message go away if you press "Exit"?

18. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Try any smart card, I used my laundry card to make it go away.

19. mitkraft

mitkraft New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    That is hilarious but what I really want to know is how you came to know that? I'm trying to envision the situation where you tried your laundry card in a DVR just to see if it would work..LOL

20. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    It was do to a thread like this, I wanted to know if any smart card would make the message go away, and it did.