1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long before a bigger official eSATA drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by singletb, Oct 23, 2007.

1. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Let me start by saying that I am very excited about today's announcements. However, I was hoping for a little more than 500 GB in the expandable storage area. How long (if ever) do you think it will be before 750 GB and 1 TB drives come out? Should I pull the trigger now and risk being stuck with a useless 500 GB drive when bigger models come out? Can an eSATA such as this be re-formated and used as a regular external storage drive on a computer? If so, then it wouldn't be a total waste if a newer, larger model was released.

2. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    And can 2 DVR Expanders be connected to one Tivo?

3. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/storage/faqs.html

" Can I use more than one DVR Expander drive with my TiVo® DVR?

No. The TiVo® DVR only supports one DVR Expander."

--

I'm waiting till they at least get to 1 Tb or more. Just guessing, but I'd say that an approved 500 Gb drive is way to small for the majority of those around here.

4. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    Arlington, MA
    Yes.

5. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Are you on a S3 or HD?

6. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Well, what if I doubled the SD recording capacity for you? How about up to 600 hours of SD capacity instead of 300?

Poof! Done. :)

The quoted '300 hours' is for the Scientific Atlanta DVR, not for a TiVo DVR. The HD numbers are the same, but a TiVo DVR can record up to 600 additional hours of SD content using the My DVR Expander.

Cheers,
    Pony

7. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Don't get me wrong, that is more space than I will ever need for SD. The ever increasing number of HD channels is my main concern. However, reading above about being able to use as a regular external drive on the computer sold me. If there is ever a bigger version of the same product, I can just use my old drive on my computer!

8. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Dude, use a 1 TB solution if you have an S3.

9. Joe3

Joe3 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Cable has been adding many HD channels these past weeks because of Direct TV's expansion.

A total of 750 G in HD hours?

Poof! Gone. :)

10. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have an S3, but don't feel comfortable with doing a hack or kickstart or whatever else. Can you plug and play drives other than the WD my DVR expander?

11. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    YES!!!

12. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Have any reccomendations? From what I have read, an eSATA plugged in to a DVR needs to be a bit more ruged than most.

13. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I think they exaggerate the need for a more robust drive.

14. spectrumsp

spectrumsp New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Jax FL
    TivoPony...

First I want to thank you for all of the insight and information you provide all of us...so, with that intro, I'm going to call upon you as the guru of knowledge to solve a preplexing question.

Help me out here...why can an S3 use the MX-1 as an expander but not the THD? It's the same software on both, therefore it contains the same drivers for functionality. The MX-1 should work fine on the THD...if you (Tivo) would only allow it...why not?

Am I missing something?

15. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    The backdoor that allowed any eSATA drive to work with the Series3 was not intended for public consumption. Once it got out though, there was little we could do short of disabling all the drives the community had already purchased and installed. That would have been unpleasant for everyone, so the Series3 is grandfathered to work with non-verified eSATA drives via the eSATA menus. We will not provide any support however for non-verified drives, or any issues that arise from having used one.

There wasn't a backdoor for the TiVo HD platform, nor will there be one. The TiVo Verified solutions are the way to go with a TiVo HD. I'd recommend it for the Series3 as well!

Pony

16. tomryan

tomryan New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    And this is why TIVO will always get my money.. Thanks Pony for the honest answer (no support, none expected, I won't call/complain/etc when it breaks) and for doing the "right" thing and grandfathering those users of the S3 who had found a way.

17. spectrumsp

spectrumsp New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Jax FL
    TivoPony...

Thank you for your prompt response...

Will Tivo begin, in the near term, evaluating other THD extender devices for compability such as the MX-1...

As an aside...since we already know that the MX-1 functions properly with the existing software, shouldn't Tivo at least allow it to work with THD while it explores other Esata devices for compability.

18. beerkensp

beerkensp New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I upgraded my internal drive to 750Gb. At that time I was convinced that that would be plenty for a long time to come. It is surprising how quickly it fills up with HD content.

I find that if I have not been able to watch a lot of TV for a couple of weeks that my drive is getting full and I have to make the difficult decision of what to delete.

I definitly will be looking to add another 1Tb as an eSata. I wich that my expensive (yes I paid $800) tivo3 was able to support more than 2Tb.

19. kingmob

kingmob New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I'm wondering whether the DVR Expander can be easily disassembled and a larger hard drive installed, without compromising the ability of Tivo HD's to use it. (If necessary, I suppose one could clone the included drive to the larger replacement, in case there's any relevant software installed on the former.)

20. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I highly recommend that everyone that possibly can man up and do their own MFS upgrades. It is quite a satisfying experience, much cheaper and offers many more options.