1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother - "The Locket"/"Coming Back" - 9/23/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billypritchard, Sep 24, 2013.

1. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Gotta start a thread so people can come in and say how much they don't like the show anymore... :p

There was some excellent stuff in these two episodes, and then some other stuff that just didn't work. First the good.

The Mother! And not only was she present, she was great. The Lily/Mother scenes were by far the best part of the first half hour. It was amazing how immediately likable she was, and fit right in. Then the scene at the end of episode 2 starts to give us Ted/Mother together, so we understand why they go well together and why we've been hearing this story for 9 years. Really out of the park on those scenes.

I liked some of the Marshall stuff, but it was pretty broad humor.

The Barney 'curse' flashback was pretty lame.

Barney/Robin, eh. I'm just not sure that works, but it's what we've got.

Did I mention I like the Mother?

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
  3. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I agree with you on these. The curse flashback was just dumb. Even worse was the "are we cousins or not" scene. The Mother is great, though.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I hated the 'cousins' scenes. Way too drawn out and was just not funny.

Loved the Lily/Mother scenes too.

I liked when current Ted and future Ted/Mother were at the same table 1 year apart.

Overall two good starts for the season for me. I hope they can keep it up!

5. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I liked the little voice overs in the Mother/Lily scenes that said that she had driving gloves and went on detours for stupid crap like Florian van Buckle, or whatever his name was, too. :)

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yeah, and even though, after the first one I knew the rest were coming, I still found them funny.

I enjoyed the first episode and I have to rewatch the second while being more awake. Good start to the season.

The mother is really cute. I could definitely see her as Ted's type.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    This for sure.

I marveled at how well she fit while watching the train scene.

I fear we are going to get a whole season of Marshall driving cross country with Sherri Shepard. They didn't cast her to not use her.

8. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I liked the overweight guy at the airport having increasingly sweat stains when they sowed him.

I just don't like Wayne Brady. Writing him in was a terrible idea.

Overall, pretty decent start to the season.

9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I liked the cousin gag, it's one I haven't seen before. While watching the scene I could picture cousin Phil ( or whatever his name was ) checking his mail.

"Hey, here's a wedding invitation from Cousin Barney"
    "Hey, here's a wedding invitation from Cousin Robin"

"Hmm... both of these are for the same wedding".

I'm surprised they were able to resist playing a couple riffs from Dueling Banjos

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    And then the left turn when she doesn't drive slow, and got Ted to stop driving slowly by calling him Lady Tedwina Slowsby.

That was my biggest issue. If the wedding is in 54 hours and Marshall is driving from Minneapolis, it's going to take him at least 20 of those hours, so it probably means we won't get Marshall back together with the gang until after Christmas, and that we'll have to put up with Sherri Shepard that long. Ugh. Not looking forward to that at all.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. I don't like this plotline. But maybe I'll change my mind as the season goes along.

12. nyc13

nyc13 New Member

May 31, 2013
    Seems like every joke was played about twice as long as was funny (Linus the bartender, click "options", hotel clerk feeling sorry for Ted, etc.) Sometimes playing a joke too long can itself be funny, but not every time.

13. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I wonder if Marshall's road trip was a compromise they had to make in order to get Segal to return for the final season? I believe he was the last hold-out last year when they were negotiating with the cast to return.

During the Emmys, they had a sketch with the HIMYM cast and Segal's one bit was separate from the rest, and he didn't appear in any of the group shots: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYgl65TJws[/media]

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't follow he backstage stuff for these shows. Are there rumors that he's not getting along with the rest of the cast?

15. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I've never heard any rumors of that - in fact, I've only heard that the cast gets along famously. I just think Segal's probably done with the show after nearly a decade and wants to do other stuff.

16. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Pretty much agree with all of this.

Loved The Mother. Thought she had excellent chemistry with both Lily and Ted. Everything else was meh. Not bad, but not great.

I did like the "So you want the Kennedy package" line from the bartender though. That got a giggle from me. :)

17. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Love the Mother, and loved the flash-forward scene at the end!

Good shows.

18. HoosierFan

HoosierFan Board game geek

May 8, 2001
    North...
    My wife said that on the View they said she was on for
    seven episodes

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    With that said, why would he "request" that roadtrip? I'm trying to figure that out.

20. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    The Mother has brought me back to the show after a two-year hiatus in my house. She's a doll. :)

And somebody needs to bake me some sumbitches. :D

Marshall's cross-country trip and Barney and Robin's possible blood ties -- not as much fun. But I'll endure the soft spots for more of the Mother.

I wonder -- will they give her an actual name, or will she be known only as "The Mother"?