1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother...Spin-off?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Oct 31, 2013.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Make it stop!

How do the "How I Met Your Mother" creators plan to follow up a season misguidedly set entirely at Robin and Barney's wedding weekend? Reportedly, with a "HIMYM" spin-off.

According to Deadline, "HIMYM" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas are collaborating with Emily Spivey ("Up All Night" creator and "Parks and Rec" alum) for a spin-off that, if picked up, would be titled... wait for it... "How I Met Your Father."

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...la-who-wants-a-how-i-met-your-mother-spin-off

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
  3. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have a feeling enough people will agree with this that it would get cancelled after 2 episodes. At least I hope so.

4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Be a great mini-series

1st episode is just a clip-show of all the times they crossed paths but from her view
    2nd episode, ehh that's all I got

1 episode is too much

5. nyc13

nyc13 New Member

May 31, 2013
    Article says it's not about how HIMYM's mother met Ted. It's more of a remake, maybe.

6. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I read about this earlier. They're talking about setting it in MacLaren's too.

:shudder:

I'm not one of the people moaning about how bad the show is now; I think it's definitely declined in quality, but I don't think it's *that* bad.

That being said, this should really not happen. It seems like a bad joke.

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Unfortunately I would watch at least the pilot to see where they would go with it.

Even though I am sure it would end up annoying me as much as HIMYM has in the recent years.

And I don't think they should promote they are collaborating with an "Up All Night" creator. That is some bad mojo there.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    You know a series set in McLarens probably wouldn't be bad. Just use completely different characters and such. Think about it being similar to Phoebe in Friends being the sister of the waitress in Mad About You. She was sort of spun off that show into a new one.

Or maybe they can spin off the kids. Fast forward a year later. The kids are now emancipated from their parents for having them sit for all that time listening to dad's boring story. They live with Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin and...wait for it...they buy McLarens :)

9. tem

tem Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Set it at McClarens and called it "Cheers II"

10. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
  11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I like what they're doing with this season. That said, I don't want a spin-off.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Seriously. I was only joking when I said there would be a spinoff called HIMYF.

of course, I was talking about meeting Ted.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    To be fair to Spivey, scuttlebutt was that there was a lot of network interference (and possibly some too from Lorne Michaels) on Up All Night.
    Spivey did walk away from the show when the decision came down to revamp to a three camera comedy with a live audience.

As for the idea of a spin off, Uhm no.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So I suppose the book will be called "The Hoe Code"?

15. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Active Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I could see some humor potential if they set it up intentionally as a one-episode series. Bring the kids back, set the future narration in 2045 or something, and let the mom's version be concise and to the point.

Though it would play even better as a 10 second tag to the finale like, "kids, did I ever tell you how I met your father?" (frightened look on kids faces) "He ____ at Aunt Robin and Uncle Barney's wedding." >credits< Would be a good excuse to bring back the kids one more time.

16. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    They have approval to film the pilot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-i-met-your-mother-656707

"The project, which like How I Met Your Mother hails from 20th Century Fox Television, is in the spirit of the flagship series and will tell the story from a female point of view. It's described as a brand-new story with new characters and a new voice at its center."

17. LaurenLMHC

LaurenLMHC New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I'm excited. I think the show is brilliant and hilarious, so, as long as they use the original writers, it should be good!

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'll be much more likely to try out a completely new show from Bays/Thomas than I would be to try and continue the universe of HIMYM by having them tell the whole story from The Mother's point of view. Given that it's an entirely new show with new characters and not using The Mother, why not just ditch the derivative name and have the show survive on its own merits rather than on the nostalgia from HIMYM? Bays/Thomas/CBS may be surprised to find that the HIMYM nostalgia may actually be an anchor on the new series rather than a boon.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm sure the theory is that HIMYM is a popular show, and it will probably get the show pilot more eyeballs out of curiosity. If the show is any good, it will stand on it's own regardless.

That said, I'm not sure the premise would work a second time and there's no reason they couldn't make a show in a similar vein, but with a different storyline. Once again we'll have to follow the journey to meet the spouse, and the last time we did this we had to wait MANY years to get there. And for many of us who thought the show got stale after awhile, and hung in there only to see who the mother was, may not be all that interested in doing that again and might take a pass.

20. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    This will suck so bad. I'll watch the pilot at least!