1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother - P.S. I Love You - OAD 02/04/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeff92k7, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1 of 73
    jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Summary: Filler

Nothing of importance in this episode. I don't think I even laughed once. Normally, I see posts about how awful recent episodes are and I think that they really aren't that bad. This one certainly was. The Barney storyline of going to Canada to interview boyfriends was way out of character. The stalker thing was ridiculous. The whole episode was abysmal, in my opinion.

Show us the mother already and lets get on with romancing her until the series finale. Stop with the filler episodes already.... sigh.

2. Feb 5, 2013 #2 of 73
    Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    Funny I thought it was great. Loved all of the guest stars, especially Dave Coulier.

3. Feb 5, 2013 #3 of 73
    crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah I agree with the Forsaken ;), I thought it was great. All the guest appearances were excellent, especially Dave Coulier. I loved when he did the Full House joke ("cut. it. out.") and Saget commented on it.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #4 of 73
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I laughed more at that than anything else in the episode. Actually I just smiled.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #5 of 73
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    even the robin sparkles but fell flat. i mean robin daggers.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #6 of 73
    CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Best EP in a long while.

7. Feb 5, 2013 #7 of 73
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it a lot, but I always love when they make fun of Canada. I loved the Tim Horton's references and the doughnut obsession :)

BTW, who is Dave Collier? I heard of everyone else but him.

8. Feb 5, 2013 #8 of 73
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    He was the third male lead on Full House (along with Bob Saget [voice of future Ted Mosby] and John Stamos).

The reason the whole "It's not me. Why does everyone always think it's me?" joke is really funny is that the prevailing opinion is that Alanis Morissette's hit You Oughta Know was written about him (apparently he and Alanis had dated/banged/whatevered once upon a time).

9. Feb 5, 2013 #9 of 73
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Is a clean* and full version of the Robin Daggers song available anywhere?

*By "clean" I don't mean "without naughty words", I mean a recording unblemished by audio from the episode.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thanks about Dave. I never watched Full House, so I didn't get the reference (I did know that Saget and Stamos was in the show)

I definitely got the Alannis Morrisette thing. And Robin's video was definitely based on You Ought to Know. She even kind of looked like her in the video. And of course she's Canadian.

11. verdugan

verdugan Active Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I think we watched different episodes. I thought this episode was really funny.

I disagree with you on the Barney storyline. Going to Canada is totally within character for him.

12. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I thought it was the best of the Robin Sparkles sequels (nothing will top the original). The Dave Coulier joke killed me both times, but I thought it was unusual to not even acknowledge Alanis - since she's also Canadian, and "You Oughta Know" came out in 1995 I believe (I know it was a Grammy nominee in 96, since I have a CD of all of the Grammy winners from that year), so it would have been well-known by the time Robin Daggers appeared at the Grey Cup. :)

Funny thing that I learned from checking the date on You Oughta Know - according to its Wiki article, the song didn't do very well in Alanis' native Canada (peaked at 20): "Music journalists ascribed the song's underperformance to a resistance from Canadian radio programmers and audiences, because the song represented such a dramatic shift from Morissette's established image as a dance-pop teen star. It was the only single from the album to underperform in Canada relative to other markets."

Sound familiar? ;)

13. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Robin Daggers > Robin Sparkles all night..

14. Trugoy

Trugoy Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Guelph,...
    Just checking, but I thought it was common knowledge that Alanis was a teen dance-pop star in Canada before she hit it big with the Jagged Little Pill album. If it's not common knowledge, then yeah, the life of Robin Sparkles pretty much mirrors Alanis' early career in Canada.

And as a Canadian, I loved this episode, as I did all the Robin Sparkles episodes. My relatively small town even got a shout out. And if you know anything about Canadians, you'll know that nothing gets us more excited than being acknowledged on US network television. :D

15. garys67

garys67 Lawn Darts Champion

Jan 12, 2005
    Couldn't disagree with the thread starter more - by far the funniest episode of the season and a worthy addition to the Robin Sparkles (nee Daggers) pantheon.

All three of my kids loved it, even if I had to explain all the Canadian pop culture references to them.

One other (non-Full House) connection... Marshall's love of Geddy Lee, who he and Paul Rudd idolized in "I Love You, Man".

16. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I was vaguely aware that Alanis wasn't always a post-grunge singer, but none of her bubble-gum stuff ever made it to the States (at least not as far as California), and really, the only detail most of us knew about what she did before was that she had been on "You Can't Do That On Television" as a kid.

But what I was more interested in from that Wiki article was how "You Oughta Know" was not well-received in Canada, due to her prior teeny-bop days. I was living in SoCal when it came out, and KROQ (one of the biggest radio stations in the country, and the leading alternative rock station) played that song constantly. Jagged Little Pill was such a massive album that I figured it would have been an immediate hit in Canada since she was Canadian.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think the OP is obsessed with the name of the show rather than just enjoying the comedy.

Love me some Robin sparkles. The Tim Horton stuff was hilarious.

18. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Forgot some other parts of the ep that I liked:

Dobler/Dahmer was a nice bit, although not as the good as the Hot/Crazy Scale (aka the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal).

I loved how Summer Lovin' = "Under the parka, over the turtleneck"

And I cracked up at the various Canadians recalling what Tim Horton they were sitting in and which donut they were eating when they watched the Robin Daggers meltdown.

19. Trugoy

Trugoy Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Guelph,...
    If I recall correctly, there's some truth to that. It was certainly a hit, but amongst young people that were aware of her previous incarnation, it was a bit of a joke.

20. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I guess every person has their own views on it. As I said in my original post though, normally I like the episodes that almost everyone else on this forum thinks was awful. For some reason, this one just didn't do anything for me.

The "stalker Lily" thing was so obvious that by the time they explained it, I didn't think they even needed to spell it out. I did like the Dave Coulier bits, but that was about it. Of course, it didn't help that I couldn't stand the girl that was stalking Ted. Something about the way she talked just grated on me.

This really was the first episode in a long time that I wished they had focused on the name of the show. It's ironic that the one episode I feel that way about is the same one that everyone else on this forum liked. Go figure...