1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother - 04/27/09 - "The Three Days Rule"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FilmCritic3000, Apr 29, 2009.

1. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Wow, no thread yet?

In any case, I love how Barney and Marshall's machinations kept spiraling and spiraling until they were out of control.

And again, I say to the producers - decent job hiding Cobie's pregnancy, though nowhere near as good of a job as the one they did to hide Alyson's.

"Tonight you're I.M. Pei-ing!"

Huh huh huh huh huh huh....

2. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Clue: "When I got your mother's number I called her right away". Ok, not a game changing clue, but there wasn't much else in the episode.

3. Bardman

Bardman Member

Aug 25, 2002
    Glassboro, NJ
    Barney's whole discussion about how the three day rule was started by Jesus was hilarious (and timely since we just past Easter)

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I found the first few minutes somewhat entertaining, but about the time they brought Stan into it, things just seemed to go downhill from there and I didn't get much out of the rest of the show.

Then I found myself thinking, "You know, I just don't really find this show very amusing anymore." I can't quite put my finger on when it took a downward turn for me, but I now feel more like I'm doing my time by watching it than watching it because I like it.

OK, reveal the whole "Mother" thing and I can delete the SP. :(

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought it was pretty good, especially with Marshall repeatedly coming to the realization, "Why are we trying to have sex with Ted?"

IMO, the name of this show is stupid and distracts people from the real show, which is simply the five main characters. Everyone is always so focused on the Mother that it causes them to lose focus on what's really important.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yes, that's true...or...

7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    For the record - I'm not fixated on the mother aspect at all. I just don't really find the show very entertaining any more. I don't know if the gags are getting old or predictable or what - I can't put my finger on it. It's an OK diversion, but it's no longer 'must see' for me.

My mention of "reveal the mother" was more a matter of "resolve the one thing that seems to have been a backstory since the beginning so I can feel better about giving up on it because it's just not that great anymore".

8. Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    You could say the same thing about MASH when it was showing. GOSH>>>could we just end the Korean war and get home. Its been going on so long now.

LOL. I always thought the premise of the show was a bit foolish. Even seeing the kids at the beginning really bothers me when the show gets really rauchy. Heck, how could someone relate these stories to their adolescent kids without getting embarrassed. (Masterbation theme?)

I started to like this show more and more. I love Neil Patrick Harris. He is a god. But I also find the other characters up to the level of writing. I never felt this was a must watch show, but I do keep it recording on my DVR.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think that should lay to rest once in for all that Colby Smothers isn't the mother (her character of course, I am having a brain freeze this morning)

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Forget the mother. I'm still watching waiting for Marshall to give Barney his last two slaps.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    How did Ted end up going out with Robin?

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    C'mon, you're using circle logic because you want that to happen. The Ted/Robin thing has been played out.....twice. That isn't going to happen, that was a hint it won't It also seems odd that he would call her ROBIN in front of his kids, not Mom, considering that he's referenced "your mother" multiple times.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above, lets get the reveal, because frankly, the show is getting stale, and they are running out of good plots. It used to be a must watch, but now it's a I'll watch when I get around to it.

13. pdhenry

pdhenry Ladies like it, too.

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Wasn't this week supposed to be the goat-in-the-apartment payoff?

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    how about them not hiding Marshall's pregnancy? the man has put on about 100 pounds!

Robin has been called "aunt Robin" to the kids too many times...she's not the mother...

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    No I'm asking because you say that the calling right away line proves Robin isn't the mother. That suggests that Ted did not call Robin right away (or a phone call wasn't involved). Right? That's the only way that calling mom right away proves it's not Robin.

Since you said that, I was wondering how Ted and Robin went on their first date. I don't remember, but you must if you're positive that Ted didn't call Robin right away after getting her number.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm almost certain that goat was (will be) in May.

17. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I think having Lily not a part of this episode changed the dynamics. Hope she'll be back soon, even if the attempts to disguise the pregnancy are lame.

Barbeedoll

18. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    The fact that he said in the first episode of the show "That's how I met your Aunt Robin" proves Robin's not the mother. There have been probably dozens of other items that prove that Robin's not the mother. They only created a Robin/Ted relationship because people felt the two characters had great chemistry.

Robin's not the mother. How that fact needs to be proven 4 years into the show is truly befuddling to me.

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Ladies like it, too.

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    "The Goat" aired last year on 4/28. The setup is that Ted was remembering (his?) birthday, and at the end realized it wasn't his birthday in 2008 but in 2009, in which he was sharing the apartment with Robin and they had the goat.

Usually they're more precise about executing their setups (cf. "Slapsgiving") but I guess it could slide a week.

In the other thread someone observed that Ted's birthday is April 25.

20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm befuddled, too. I never said that Robin might be the mother. I asked "How did Ted end up going out with Robin?" Seems like a pretty straightforward question---I don't understand all the confusion.