1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the free episode of the Newsroom work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mattack, Jun 26, 2012.

1. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Where is it streaming from?

I don't remember another example of a free episode showing up like this. (There have been/are other free episodes from e.g. amazon downloads -- and I'll probably check if this ep is available as a download too, since then I would be able to save my place if I want to stop watching.)

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I am curious as well. I just watched this tonight.

Obviously HBO programming, but I suspect it's through Amazon/Netflix VOD or similar method.

I paused a couple of times during the viewing and it behaved as if it was a locally recorded program. I didn't even notice it was a streamed event, and I don't even have a broadband connection. :up:

3. allencoleman

allencoleman New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Speaking of The Newsroom, I just recorded the first episode and was going to transfer it to Tivo Desktop but it wouldn't allow it due to "copy protection". That is the first time that has happened to me with an HBO program. I hope this is not a big future trend because I save a lot of programs during "good times" (programming wise) and then watch them later during "lean times".

4. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Perhaps it's just recording it off the cable? With digital cable it's easy to authorize open access during specific times (it's how they do those "free weekends" things), and TiVo just recorded it as normal.

Or TiVo just downloaded it as a regular downloaded program so it's not streamed but cached in the private TiVo area.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Is streaming(from the internet) even possible without broadband?

6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    When was the last time you tried to transfer an HBO show? They're very protective and our cable provider enforces the CC flag for HBO. HBO Go doesn't even allow you to use Airplay or an HDMI adapter to view programming on a TV from an iPad or iPhone.

7. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know. Is DSL considered broadband? I meant to say I don't have high speed broadband. :eek:

8. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm OTA only with a DSL internet connection. While watching the free Newsroom episode, I pressed the info button and the information window indicated I was watching YouTube content. This was on a TivoHD.

9. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    For some reason it looked really bad on my hdxl. Looked like a crappy YouTube video... I have 15mbit cable Internet too

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, it's definitely being streamed, as I see the "please wait" like when the "external apps" are launched.. e.g. the video podcasts, etc., which AFAIK really run off of Tivos servers.

Plus, I stopped watching it and started again, and saw the time bar start filling in from the beginning.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :up:
    On My Premiere, when I highlighted it on the discovery bar, the description included a YouTube logo.

12. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely looks like a lower quality you tube stream.

240p. 360 at best.

13. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Quality was very crappy here on my TiVoHD. I gave up trying to watch, and now the menu item has disappeared from TiVo Central.

:(

14. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I thought it looked fine. Of course my eyesight is not that great and my TV is only 720p. I could tell it wasn't HD, but it didn't look any worse than a DVD.

15. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    On youtube.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4ZhFDFYvE[/media]

16. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    I started to watch it, thought the youtube video looked crappy. I have HBO, so i can get it HD on demand. Good show, I think.

Don H.