1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you STOP a Netflix show and return to Netflix?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by anthonymoody, Oct 27, 2013.

1. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Title hopefully says it all. On ATV and PS3 when I hit the Stop button on my universal remote, the recording stops and I am returned to this Netflix menu screen for that show or episode. I can then navigate to another episode.

Watching NFLX on the TiVo doesn't seem to behave that way. I've had to hit the TiVo or List button to essentially quit TiVo, then log back in, which takes me to the Netflix menus.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My Harmony Remote has a button labeled stop and matches a TiVo command stop, and does what you want, but I don't know what (if any) TiVo remote button does that. The old Humax with DVD player did have a stop button on its remote.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Up, of course! :)

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you're using a new remote with "Back" button then use that. For remotes with A/B/C/D buttons I believe the "B" button acts as a "Back" button. For remotes without A/B/C/D I think there's also a back equivalent button that I forget what it is (maybe zoom).

5. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks all.

I taught the Back command to the Stop button on the Harmony. (Fwiw the Stop button was unassigned in whatever TiVo model I'd told harmony I have. I think a premiere).

I didn't like the way that worked when watching recorded shows because it obviously doesn't Stop that recording (like it does in Netflix) it just returns to the show's menu screen and keeps playing. So I then set up a sequence of Pause, Back, and assigned that to the Stop button.

That now works pretty much as expected. I'm going to try the Up button though. If that does the same thing in both TiVo recorded shows and Netflix then I may assign Up to the Stop button in place of the he sequence.

Edit: Up gives me the video format (eg 1080p) when watching a recorded show, so I guess my sequence stays.

6. rcase13

rcase13 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Why TiVo chooses not have a stop button is beyond me. I think it's the dumbest design ever. SO basically the only way to stop a show and go back to the Netflix menu is to pause it and hit the back button. Am I understanding this correctly?

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Up arrow works too in Netflix. For YouTube though I think only the back button works, so if you use both for consistency it's best to teach yourself to use back button.

8. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    No, you aren't reading the preceding posts correctly.
    Back or zoom works fine for Netflix as a stop button.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is a TiVo stop command. The old S2 units with built in DVD players/burners have them. And if you teach it to a Harmony it works on a Roamio both in Netflix and when playing a show.

10. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Is there a way to selectively grab that command from the Harmony database without having to delete my current TiVo (in the harmony set up) and replace it with an S2 (which I'd presumably still have to teach all of the later TiVo buttons)?

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My Harmony has the Stop button and I use the Premiere selection. Are you sure you don't have a stop option in the list of commands? I do use remote codes, 1 & 3, so maybe the stop button is only in those databases and not in the default 0 remote code?

There is a way to teach a Harmony a code from an old Pronto hex code, and you can probably find the stop button hex code somewhere online.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Zoom button on the older remotes with A/B/C/D also acts as the back button.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There is no need to hit pause. You just back out. It's the same way on many other devices with Netflix. This is not specific to TiVo.

When you go back to playing the title it will resume where you left off. Hitting pause is not needed.

14. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    There was no Stop command in the list. Didn't realize there were multiple code sets to choose from. Have to check but where does one select among the codes (you listed 1&3 as opposed to 0)? Do you recall off hand? That one is new to me...

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    When it first asks you to press a few buttons on the remote so it can figure out what device you're using. I simply programmed a peanut for code 1 and then code 3. The Harmony software selected the codeset from that. I remember there being one button that was in one set but not the other (List, I think) I used another Harmony I had which was setup for a S3 and had the button to teach it to the software. I'm not sure where they get these commands. Maybe from other users who learn them in?

Back in the Pronto days it was easy to add a button by finding the hexcode online and copy/pasting it in. The Harmony software/website seems overly complicated sometimes when it comes to this stuff.

16. hfcsyrup

hfcsyrup Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Finally! Recently upgraded to P4 unit and could not figure out how to get back to netflix!

Now if only I could figure out how to move to the next program in a folder in NPL, my old series 3 units let me hit CH up/down to act as page up down.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's a shortcoming in the HDUI menus in general. TiVo took away that functionality such that none of the HDUI lists allow you to do that anymore.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yep, my wife complains about this all the time.

19. hfcsyrup

hfcsyrup Member

Dec 12, 2012
    seriously, they really took away that basic functionality? how can the a, b, c, d buttons not do this? useless buttons

20. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Yeah, my girlfriend has been complaining about this all the time too. (We just switched from Series 3 to Roamio Pro, so the HDUI is all new to us.)