1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i stop the spam ads on my Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by crombiecrunch, May 12, 2012.

1. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

May 12, 2012
    Ok so since that last major update a couple of months back every time now when I press my pause button or stop a program and go to delete it, I get spammed with ads for woollight or staying at the hilton or some other crap I dont want to see.

Im sorry but I pay 20 bucks a month times 3 TiVo Premieres, I do not want to be pushed ads. Especially since 2 of the boxes are used by my 6 year old that clicks on the by mistake.

And you cant say well Tivo needs it to make money. I would rather them up my bill by a couple of bucks then get spammed with ads.

Ive already called customer care and they scratch their heads because they show me as opt'd out for them. I press the down arrow on the but that just temporarily hides them.

I had my boxes 8 months prior to that last big update and never had this problem. Ive searched and can not find away to do away with them.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You will want to use the backdoor code that eliminates the pause ads.

First, pause the program and press the down arrow to hide the ad.

Next on the remote, enter [Select] [Play] [Select] [Pause] [Select].

If you have a Premiere and are using the HDUI, you might need an extra [Select] at the beginning of the sequence.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You cannot remove those Pause Ads, only hide them.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cancel the TiVo service, that's how. They are part of the TiVo terms of service.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Use a Windows Media Center PC for recording. We don't suffer from that kind of crap (nor do we have to pay extra for the privilege).

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    This doesn't make sense considering your disdain for the ads. Why would you want to receive ads after paying more each month on the subscriptions?

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    What he said is that he would pay more to NOT have the ads

8. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    I know that everyone hates the grammar police, but Scandia101 has it right. Had the OP said than instead of then, it would have shown what was intended. No hijacking or fingerpointing intended, just pointed out the misuse of then and than. Lots of other words too, but we'll wait for another day.:)

9. marqattacks

marqattacks New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Are these the ads that show up on the bottom of the pause menu, or full screen ads? I only get the ones below the bottom part green play bar.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    But most of knew what he wanted to say, but technically you are correct. :)

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    That's funny, usually I don't like the literal interpretations of what was stated jokes but this one works well.

12. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Sometimes the words are important. I had to read the initial post a few times to understand what the OP was trying to say. I normally just roll with it, but this was a case where several meanings were changed by poor grammar.

13. snarler

snarler New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Maybe he meant it would be okay if TiVo raised his rates, then TiVo gets spammed with ads instead of him :D

14. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    That worked well, but how do you reverse it? I thought this method would only get rid of the ad but, the green bar also went away.

15. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    When someone says "How do I make my X not do Y?" if you respond with "don't use X" then you're the ******* in the thread.

In case you didn't know that already.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    With the Premier, you are pretty much hosed. That's one more reason I don't recommend the Premier or the Elite.

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah that annoyed me too, at first. But anytime you press Play while the video is playing, that brings up the green progress bar.
    When I pause, I want the screen cleared quickly (because I am usually looking at a detail in the show) and this feature does that.

Repeating the code should toggle it back.
    This feature does not survive a reboot so worst case, a reboot will do it.

18. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    He has been told this often so I am sure he knows it isn't a helpful or meaningful post as it regards this thread.

19. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Thanks, I think I did this right. Paused my recording a couple of times and haven't seen any stupid ads for Woolite and the Cayman Islands.

EDIT: Never mind, they popped back up.

20. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Does anybody really do this? I sure doubt it.