1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I setup my LAN for MoCA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dmkw, Dec 13, 2013.

1. dmkw

dmkw New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    My Roamio Plus arrived yesterday and I'd like to get MoCA setup on my LAN, but I can't figure out where to put the Actiontec adapters. I'm currently using Wifi for my Apple devices, but I also want to have a small LAN in the Office. The Roamio will replace the TWC DVR in the TV room once the Cable card arrives.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    it's not clear from the diagram, but the moca adapter needs to be in a place where you have both ethernet and cable. Is that the office in your diagram?

Since the roamio plus has moca built in, if there's ethernet and cable in the tv room you won't need the moca adapter. Just connect ethernet and the cable to the roamio plus and select "create a moca network".

-David

3. dmkw

dmkw New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Neither the office or the TV room have Ethernet. I know that the office will require an adapter as there is a wired only PC in there which I want to connect to the internet. What I can't figure out is at what point does the first adapter need to connect to the coax cable? Everything in the diagram is in the basement, then the coax cables go out to the locations in the house.

Attached Files:

4. dmkw

dmkw New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Another image

Attached Files:

5. dmkw

dmkw New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Another image of basement equipment

Attached Files:

6. sheshechic

sheshechic Member

Apr 14, 2012
    No Moca adapter needed, just plug in the coax and set up tivo to use moca as connection.

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Usually the cable modem and router are in the same room (which appears to be the case in the center split of the diagram). The primary moca adapter should go there, and connect it as shown in the diagram below...

Then any additional adapters can go wherever they are needed (the tivo itself won't need one).

[​IMG]

8. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    If I understand it correctly the modem and router are in the basement along with those splitters?

Set it up in the basement, ethernet off the router into the moca adapter, which connects to the inside side of any splitter.

Though from the images, it doesn't appear any of your splitters are powered, so you can connect as in the diagram above. "To cable outlet" is the cable currently going into the cable modem. Once that's working, the roamios and other adapters should see and be able to join that moca network.

Don't forget the POE filter, above the first splitter in your first diagram.

-David