1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I replace dead hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by peterm1, Sep 7, 2008.

1. peterm1

peterm1 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    I have the Series 3, whose hard drive appears to have died. I have an extra Maxtor 500GB sata drive I would like to install in its place, but I assume I need to install Tivo software on the drive, right? I don't care about the lost shows on my dead drive and just want to find out the easiest way to put in the new drive.

By the way, I was using it with the external My Book Tivo expander drive.

Thanks,

Peter

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, first download WinMFS or MFS Live from here. Then pull the hard drive and install it in a machine running an appropriate operating system (MFS Live has the OS on the bootable disk). Use the utilities to see if the drive is completely dead, or can be copied to another drive. If it is dead, go to DVRupgrade and either get a TiVo drive for your unit or get Instant Cake for your unit and apply it to a regular hard drive. Since you say you have the Maxtor, you probably want Instant Cake. Then use MFS Live or WinMFS to marry the external drive to the internal. As long as the PC you use for the upgrade has available SATA ports, it pretty painless. If not, you'll need a USB => SATA adapter.

3. peterm1

peterm1 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Thanks, I should have stated that I am using a Mac, so that software won't work. I am going to contact some of these DVR upgrade companies tomorrow about sending in my unit with my replacement hard drive, so hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Peter

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's certainly an option. Surely you have friends who have PCs, though?

5. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Member

Mar 12, 2007
    NYC
    Are you on an Intel Mac? I have a MacBook Pro. You can boot Intel Macs to Windows or install parallels so you can run Windows on top of the Mac OS.

I replaced the damaged drive in my Tivo S3 last Thursday using my Mac. It was quick and easy. Took about an hour.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can also compile the tools from sourceforge & use them on a mac.

7. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    How do I install the software if my drive is completly dead and I don't have an image of the failed drive?

TiVo: HD DT

TIA...

8. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Instant Cake contains a fresh image and let's you start over from scratch.

9. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Is there something free that will do this as it appears there is a $40 cost for Instant Cake?

Also can I flash from another drive on a same type tivo? I have 2 HD DT TiVo's.

TIA...