1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I hate the SA 8300? Let me count the ways

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cwoody222, Sep 27, 2006.

1. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Luckily I don't have one of these but my boyfriend does. Over the summer when viewing was light it wasn't that bad. But now it's showing it's true colors. We have the worst possible software too (whatever old Adelphia used to use). Some of the worst offenses:

Only 7 days of guide data. On Wed. you can't see NEXT Wed.

Constantly records next-day repeats (ie: recorded Heroes on Monday and then the same episode the next day)

Can't cancel single shows. Want to cancel that Tuesday Heroes recording? Too bad, you have to cancel the entire Heroes "season pass". Then you have to re-set it up later.

Can't limit recordings to just one day of the week each week (like "only on Mondays").

No "season pass manager". No way to see what "season passes" you have other than what's upcoming in the next 7 days.

No Undelete. No Wishlists. No searching. No "View Upcoming Episodes".

HD compression.

No way to hide channels you don't receive from the Channel Guide. No "favorites" either.

I know some of the software updates will make it better... but who knows when/if that's available.

I'm having trouble justifying $800 for a S3 since I don't have digital or HD cable myself, don't rent a DVR and don't even pay for cable (it's included in my rent). But if I was currently renting a POS like the SA 8300 myself, that $800 would be spent immediately!

Your thoughts? :p

2. Dajad

Dajad New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Oh my gosh, you haven't even plumbed the depths of this piece of crap!!!! Give it awhile, you'll come up with many more worse things. Ever try to watch a show while its recording. That's fun! Wait until it stops recording. Or, if you stop watching a show then want to start up where you last left off. Oops, doesn't do that either.

The bottom line with that boat anchor is, the only reliable way to make sure the shows you want recorded are actually recorded is to have a TiVo running side by side catching everything it misses. That's the only way my 8300 works.

But, I do not think it does any compression of the HD signal. If you are getting artifacts and such, that is your MSO's doing, not the box itself.

...Dale

3. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Oh yes! The 'watching while recording' is what prompted my original post.

We were watching Jericho while it was recording. When Justice began recording suddenly - without warning - Jericho changed to whatever was currently on CBS. Huh?

Also, naturally, it couldn't play from where we "left off" (more like "were abandoned"). Ugh.

As for compression, I get MUCH less artifacts on my OTA 26" setup than his cable 48" so it must be the cable co :( I actually prefer my HD to his because of it! And his is almost twice as big. (no pun intended ;) )

4. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    You are dead-on with your gripes about the 8300. I was all set to swap it for an S3, but then I was disappointed with the limitations of the S3.

Instead, I spent $250 and added a 500GB HD eSata drive to the 8300 for a total of 750GB in recording space. Now most of my problems with the 8300 have gone away. My biggest problem was that stuff seemed to just disappear. Now I have a lot more room and I can deal with most of the problems.

Here are my 8300 advantages over the S3.

- No install required
    - No worries about future compatibility with switched video, etc.
    - Picture-in-picture capability
    - VOD / PPV capability
    - Can view tv, while looking at guide or recording shows
    - External storage enabled today

It's not perfect, but I think it's a better solution today given the limitations of the S3.

5. Tippy

Tippy New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I know my S3 with two cable cards is a bit extravagant but the limitations of and frustrations with the 8300HD made me take the leap to the S3. I now love having recorded HD programs that are in a user-friendly format. I still have the 8300 but I will probably return it soon for a standard, non-recording HD box (for PPV/VOD when necessary). I've cussed at that awful box so many times in the past year or so!

6. PaulS

PaulS Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    No one can hate this box more than me. It's an impossibility of the human condition for anyone to surpass my dislike/hatred for this steaming turd.

Among all of the other grips that have been previously posted (kick to live, busted guide data, no wishlists, 6+ day guide data, etc), allow me to expand upon the list for your amusement :

- the craptacular "series recording" options, which limit you to recording a show :
    1) every single showing at any time. This lovely "feature" tends to fill up this POS's feeble ToDo list quite rapidly on shows with multiple repeats per week.
    2) showings only at a particular time. What they fail to tell you is that the day of the week isn't considered in this calculation. So, if you've got a two 10PM shows on Sunday, and one on Tuesday, you're SOL. Nice conflict resolution.... NOT!​

- the multiple times where it decided to record 1 minute slices of a 1.5 hour program that I was recording, leaving me with the enjoyable task of having to delete every single 1-minute recording manually. Try hitting "list"+"select"+"down"+"down"+"select"+"A" about 60 times and see how happy you are after that joyous waste of time.

- the times where the box decides to repeatedly reboot while a recording of a particular show is occurring. Once that program's done, the box will finally stop resetting.

- The Fisher-Price GUI. It's a step above a Commodore 64, but not by much...

7. Dajad

Dajad New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Paul, it may be an impossibility of the human condition to hate it more than you but I will at least say I hate it as much as you!!!!

I'm going through hell in a hay basket to purchase and use a crippled S3 in Canada (no cablecard, no OTA guide data) just to minimize my reliance on the 8300 as much as possible.

It appears the forum owners have disabled the ability to search the archives here. I have posted long reviews/comparissons of this box and the TiVo siting all of the deficiencies of this box. Others have as well. Unfortuantely they all seem to have dropped into the unsearchable archives. ARgh!!!

Another thing that drives me bonkers is that you can set shows to EITHER (i) delete after a preset number of days; or (ii) never delete. That's it. There's no first in-first out option or any other way to manage your saved shows. So, if you chose option 1, your shows start disappearing after the set number of days - EVEN IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF SPACE LEFT ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. Or, if you choose option (ii) when the small hard drive is full, its full, and nothing else will record. How completely stupid is this!!!! I've chosen option (ii) so I have to babysit this sucker every freak'n day to make sure it isn't full. And as it gets closer to getting filled it becomes completely unreliable.

Hell, it is already completely unreliable. You can NEVER be sure if a show will record or not. For every show I care about, I literally have TiVo record the SD version simultaneously so that I won't miss the weekly unrecorded shows on this POS!!!!

...Dale

8. George Cifranci

George Cifranci Viva La Tivo!

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I hate my 8300HD DVR too and am counting the days until I am able to buy an S3. I have had to use a SA 8300HD DVR for almost a year now after I bought my HDTV. I need to wait a month or so until I finish paying off my HDTV.

9. arkham

arkham New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I'm a hater, too. How many times have I thought that I would like to have the source code to the SA8300, so I can spend about 10 MINUTES to fix 90% of the problems. The useability of the box is unexcusable. I can't believe I have an HD recorder which has no more functionality than a VCR!

When the Series 3 is verified by me to work with my local cable companies cable cards, I will be spending the money.

10. PaulS

PaulS Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    +10000

As a coder myself, I can't believe how poorly this box was slapped together.

If you follow the 8300 threads elsewhere, you'd see why the cableco's are gunshy about rolling out new versions of the code and leaving us in the stone age. Each new version they get has significant bugs. It seems the SA coders can't fix one thing without introducing bugs elsewhere. Either #1) the code is incredibility sophisticated and complicated, or #2) they're just a bunch of monkeys with keyboards. I'm going with #2. :)

11. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Google may be able to help there. While they've configured the archives to static locked pages, unsearchable by the forum software, it appears the pages are at least external search engine friendly:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:tivocommunity.com++dajad++8300&btnG=Google+Search

If you try changing the search terms around a bit, you can probably come up with what you're looking for.

Cheers,
    Cassidy

12. bferrell

bferrell Now in HD!

Jun 22, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    OH MY GOD, I hated that damn thing too, doubtless sent here directly from the gates of hell. My favorite feature, was this little number...

Both tuners are recording *the same show*, one in SD and one in HD. I stop the SD recording (and it leaves the recorded fragment, as though I'd EVER want to watch that - didn't I just CANCEL IT?), change the channel to what I WANTED to watch live - and if you decide to delete that fragment - it decides HEY - I'VE GOT A FREE TUNER, I'll go and record SOMETHING OTHER REPEAT, and annoy this man hugely by taking away the tuner HE JUST FREED UP, and WITHOUT ASKING if it was OK. Completely braindead. The guys that wrote that software clearly didn't live with one of these things for even a few weeks. Turd doesn't do it justice.

Now I have two shiny new S3s. Living the dream.....

Brett

13. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Bellaire, TX
    Me too
    Me three
    Me four
    Me five
    Me infinity

Jim

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    For some clues as to what software is running on your box, see my sig.

15. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    FYI: I was talking about the SARA software

16. cbordman

cbordman PP-ASEL

May 14, 2001
    Holly...
    My 8300 doesn't have any of those problems. It even has a season pass manager.

17. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Interesting. My 8300HD with Sara doesn't have a SP manager. I have a DVR List and a list of Scheduled Recordings, and in that list, I can't even prioritize the scheduled recordings.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Well, it's not surprising there are differences given SARA is from Scientific Atlanta whereas cbordman's unit is running software from Aptiv Digital formerly Pioneer Digital Technologies http://www.pioneerdigital.com/passportecho/.

19. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Same here . I have 3 SA Tivos and 3 DirecTivos (including an HR10-250), but for $5/month I decided to try the SA 8300HD with Passport Echo. I have been very impressed with it - contrary to what I read on these forums. No problems whatsoever. I won't be giving up any of my Tivos, but it's great to have an extra HD recorder for $5/month.

It is annoying to only have 7 days of guide data, but I only use it for season passes and special recordings anyway.

20. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I wonder how many calls and pleas to Cablevision it would take to get them to switch from Sara to Passport?