1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your CableCARD install go?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dan203, Sep 18, 2006.

How di your CableCARD install go?

1. They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since

291 vote(s)
  2. They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now

242 vote(s)
  3. They've been installed but they're still not working right

167 vote(s)
  4. The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo

19 vote(s)
  5. Don't have a S3, just want to see results

77 vote(s)
  1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Just a quick poll to see how well people's CableCARD installs are going.

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Mine was pretty bad. One non-visit, two visits, several phones calls and debtates. A lot of frustration and a lot of wasted time. My lineup and billing may still be off, but I haven't had the energy to deal with it.
  3. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    1st card worked
    2nd and 3rd cards failed to auth
    4th card worked.

Other than failed cards it went smoothly. The tech and the headend guy were using me as an experiment in making the things work so I had their undivided attention.
  4. nhaigh

nhaigh New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    There are so many negative stories I thought I 'd share a positive one.

My guy arrived and and looked blankly at the TiVo he'd never seen before. He shoved the cards in the slots, wrote down the numbers TiVo displayed, called in for activation, tested the channels and left.

All worked fine. I re-ran guided setup and started setting up HD SP's.

I'm sorry but it just worked great.
  5. amjustice

amjustice FINALY HD w/Series3

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    Thanks for sharing that, its good to hear some good stories as well, but usually its just a case of the squeeky wheels, which there are a few of on this board today ;)
  6. jwolgamott

jwolgamott New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    I had a great experience as well. I went by Best Buy on saturday afternoon, picked up the Tivo Series 3, then drove directly to the Sugar Land (TX) Time Warner Service center. I told the woman that I wanted to get two cable cards for HDTV, and signed up for HDTV on the spot. She handed them over and told me they rent for $1.75 each per month.

I went home, installed them into the Tivo and called the CableCARD activation number. The instructions said it was only open 8-5 M-F, but a person answered the phone and helped me install it without any trouble.

I tried to fake Time Warner out by telling them I had 2 HDTVs, and it worked until they asked me what type of TV I had... Ooops! No worries though, I fessed about the Tivo Series 3 and he continued without any hoops or problems.

24 hours later my HBO and ESPN was "unlocked" -- before then I had all my local HDTV ready to go.

It was seriously easier than hooking up the Series 2 with the digital cable box.
  7. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
  8. ThePlungerMan

ThePlungerMan New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    How about installed and not working AT ALL.
    Waiting for a call from a Tivo sup. tech. It might be my Tivo box

6 cards so far.
  9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    When you insert the cards does the MMI screen pop up? If so then the CableCARD is being recoginized properly by the TiVo, and the problem is that they are not properly authorized by the cable company. If not then it may very well be the TiVo.

10. sharding

sharding New Member

Feb 11, 2001
    I posted this in the Comcast thread, but it applies outside of Comcast, so I thought I'd repost here. I'm sure that there are some true problems going on out there. But it seems like a large proportion of them are unnecessary complications being added by the cable companies not understanding the technology.

Just to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing special that Comcast has to do to make this work. They may think there's something special or unusual, but there isn't.

Not only does Comcast not know I'm using my Cable Cards in a TiVo (they never asked anything about what they're going into), they didn't even need any information from me when I called to activate them. They didn't need me to tell them the hardware IDs from the TiVo, the serial numbers from the cards or anything else. They already had the info from the cards associated with my account from when I picked them up, and that's all they needed to make it work. If anything special needed to be done becuase it's a TiVo, or because it's two cards in one box, it wouldn't have happened for me because they didn't know. And yet, they both work perfectly.

Honestly, I think the cable companies are making this way more complicated than it should be. If they were to just shove the cards into the slots, and then proceed as if it were two cable card TVs, they'd be fine (except, of course, when the cards are bad or there's some other problem. But those issues aren't any different because it's a TiVo either).
  11. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Once the installer actually arrived it seemed pretty smooth. The ony problem was he couldn't get through to the people who need to authorise the cards for about 5 mins, and it then took them another 10 mins to actually do the authorisation. The cards gave the 161-4 error which TiVo says you can ignore http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv010416.htm?

Getting the installer here was the problem, for an 8-12 appointment he didn't turn up by 12 and didn't ring to tell me he wasn't arriving (as required by law). Comcast only offered $20 compensation for this, which is more of an insult than anything. When DirecTV did that to me, at least they tried to bribe me with $90 worth of freebies.
  12. keenanSR

keenanSR Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Positive experience here. First card had the 161-4 error, passed that by, and the rest went smoothly.
  13. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    This may be dependant on whether you local area is a Motorola or a Scientific Atlanta site.

For Moto areas, they have to enter pairing information into the Access Controller in the headend. This pairs the CableCARD to the host. They do this to prevent you from taking you CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game.

The DAC (Digital Access Controller) in the headend enables encryption of video in the CableCARD and requires the Host ID (specific to the TiVo) and the CableCARD ID (specific to the CableCARD) to both be entered into the DAC.
  14. sharding

sharding New Member

Feb 11, 2001
    Sorry, it may have been a mistake to post the same thing in two places, because now we have to have the same conversation in two places :)

But, for the record: I understand that they may need more information than they got from me in some cases. But my point was really that what they need is not any different from what they'd need for a Cable Card TV. By freaking out when they hear it's a TiVo, they're adding unnecessary complication to the process. They should proceed as they would with any other Cable Card install. That doesn't mean it will never fail, but Cable Card installs on TVs aren't foolproof either. I guess I just don't quite get why the cable companies are treating this as if it's a completely new animal, when in the end it requires exactly the same thing as a Cable Card TV...
  15. TheChadAZ

TheChadAZ New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Phoenix - Cox

I had a 3-5 appt. today, guy actually showed up at around 1 pm (called first and asked if OK to come early...like I would say no? :eek: )

The Tivo saw both cards immediately as soon as he had them in (the second card showed as installed, but when we went into the host id screen it was blank, he pushed on the card to make sure it was in tight and the screen came up). They didn't seem to authorize at first so we rebooted the Tivo. A message came up on the screen that said the number of cable cards had changed (still showed both though) and when we went to the test channels screen it said that it was unavailable. He called the office again and had them re-hit the cards with the authorization signal and they both came up. I hope that they don't loose their config after a reboot or something...

Otherwise everything is up and running and I am trying to setup my season passes now :D .
  16. Larry in TN

Larry in TN New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    My install went well, just one small hicup...

In my area, Comcast tells you to go by one of their many local offices to pick up the cableCARDs. I have one about two miles from my house so I had them here waiting when the S3 arrived. I popped in the cards but they didn't work. The channels remapped, so I was able to get the unencrypted QAM channels on their cable-assigned channels, but I couldn't get the rest of the digital channels.

Couldn't resolve the issue over the phone so they sent out a tech (no charge). After some various calls to have the cards re-hit they figured out that there were two problems. The first was that something hadn't been setup correctly in my account so they weren't sending the correct information to the cards. Additionally, one of the two cards that I had picked up were bad. When the installer replaced that card everything worked fine.
  17. wtkflhn

wtkflhn New Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    My S3 is due tomorrow. I can't wait to see what challanges it will present. I know it won't pick up digital chanels without the cable cards. But what about the locals you can get with a QAM tuner. Can you get them without cablecards? Also, can you get OTA stations with an outside ant. like the series 2?

Don H.
  18. keenanSR

keenanSR Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Yes, you can get in-the-clear QAM channels, usually any local digital stations the cableco carries, no CC needed, although there won't be any guide data either.

Yes, OTA, both digital and analog.

As a side note, the S3 has a damn fine OTA tuner in it, I'm getting stations I never got before, plus, the stations I used to just barely get with an HR10-250, come in nice and strong.
  19. monkeyboy1010

monkeyboy1010 Long Time User

Nov 17, 2000
    The installer was to arrive between 1 - 5 pm, he was here at 1:04 (major thumbs up)

1st card no go, 2nd card fine, installer only had 2 cards. Calls supervisor and says he will be back before the end of day with more cards. I work at home so this is fine with me.

4ish, installer returns and goes through 3 cards till he gets a winner that the authorizer can see in the tivo. Done.

After having been with DirecTV service for the last 10 years using the original DirecTV TiVo and then the Hughes HR10-250, I can honestly say the picture quality diff is HUGE from DirecTV to TWC. DirecTV has starved their signals slowly over the last few years to the point that even my wife, who does'nt normally care about such things, noticed that every thing looked "fuzzy around the edges". So far, so good.
  20. jhonaker

jhonaker New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Cox, Fairfax Cty VA.

Guy brought over 2 cable cards. He seemed a little surprised to see a TiVo there, but I showed him where to put one in, and we got the codes from it, then put the other in and got the codes from it.

He called in, waited on hold a good bit, finally got through, and had someone turn them on. We slowly started seeing HD channels appear, so he took off.

I told the box our channel lineup was wrong, so it started that whole business again. I had to leave, so the bf finished that up, but it all looks ok.

I just went through and removed all the homeshopping channels and made high def season passes for some of my old season passes.

I like my series 3, and I'm glad I haven't missed too much of the season.