1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How accurate is '160 hrs of storage?'

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bohr2004, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bohr2004

bohr2004 New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I'm pondering the difference between a plus and a pro and was wondering:

If I'm on FIOS, how accurate are the 'hours of storage' numbers? I was under the impression that tivo's just stored the bitstream, so it depended highly on how much the upstream provider compressed.

Anybody know?

(new to tivo's)

Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not very. These things record the digital bitstream as-is so the real number of hours they can hold is entirely dependent on the bitrate used for the programs you record. Back in the old S2 days they were completely accurate because everything was recoded using a constant bitrate, but now they're just guesses based on averages.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's a general average, but not terribly far off. It's hard to be exacting since different cableco's use different bitrates. With Fios I've found it to be a pretty decent estimate.

There is a free space meter in the interface, as well as a more specific used/free space indicator in the System Information screen, if you need to micro-manage and keep track of actual free space.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Although in the analog days, TiVo stretched the truth with their estimates by assuming you recorded at the lower quality setting. The digital estimates have no way to be accurate like you said but I think it is close enough to actual record times at least.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am OTA only and the size of a 1 hour show varies by over 2GB from my channel with the largest size to the one with the smallest size (all HD). So it really does depend on what you record.