1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House of Cards - Season 1 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BlueMerle, Feb 10, 2013.

1. BlueMerle

BlueMerle Adorable Deplorable

Jan 10, 2007
    Foat Wuth
    I didn't see a thread for all of season one so I thought I'd start one. :)

I really like this show, watched the entire season in two days. It's well acted with lots of plot twists. Though the only factual part about it is Congress does meet in Washington DC. Beyond that it's just pure, delicious fiction. :)

2. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Cross posting my comments from the episode 13 thread:

I enjoyed the series, which is high praise from me since I am not usually a fan of political drama.

The production values were great and I thought the pacing was perfect.

Slugline seems poised to totally screw Frank. Based on the ambition Zoe has shown I expected that she would have much more to gain by staying in Franks pocket than blowing the story wide open, but maybe I am underestimating the value to her career by bringing him down.

Personally I would much rather see frank come out on top with the job.

3. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I felt the same, until he became a murderer. Playing politics ruthlessly is one thing, but I cannot root for him after he killed someone like that. I guess it was foreshadowed in the first episode, but the murder still took me by surprise since I did not think he would cross the line like that.

4. BlueMerle

Jan 10, 2007
    Foat Wuth
    The only thing I can think of in RL is the Woodward/Bernstein thing and what that did for them... well Woodward anyways.

5. BlueMerle

Jan 10, 2007
    Foat Wuth
    I agree and that was a shocker. I'll be surprised if the police don't figure out he was murdered.... he was drunk and in the passenger seat. But maybe I'm wrong.

6. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Not having a push to start car, can that be done without your foot being on the brake?

7. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Interesting fact: The 2013 Chrysler 300 owner's manual does not tell one how to start the car until page 359. It does require a foot on the brake.

8. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Not an easy task from the passenger's seat! But I suppose he could have started it, then moved to the passenger's seat.

I knew that was coming from the moment they pulled into the garage. I wish it hadn't though, I feel like it was over the line.

9. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, it seemed out of character to me. Frank seemed like a guy who would do almost any ruthless thing to accomplish his goals, but he would stop short of murder. If for no other reason than it is too dangerous to his plans and likely to get him caught. Also, Frank struck me as someone who is certainly capable of being ruthless, but also someone who is not needlessly cruel -- he only hurts bystanders when it is absolutely necessary to his plans. I think Frank could have tried something else short of murder to deal with the problem.

I have the feeling that the show producers thought the murder seemed out of character after the season was mostly complete, so they decided to put in that first scene in episode 1 to try to make it more plausible. But I think they needed to have the crazy slowly develop in Frank over several episodes in order to make it plausible, and they did not do that.

10. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I am done with the show after that...

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    What did Frank accomplish with the murder that he wouldn't have gotten with Peter simply slinking away in disgrace? Was there some thought that Peter was going to spill the beans? It seemed reckless for a guy who is so cunning.

12. nirisahn

nirisahn Active Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    Now I have to re-watch episode one to see what you're referring to.

13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, the worry was that Russo was going to confess all, and thereby implicate Frank. But my feeling is, as long as Russo did not realize that Frank set him up to fail (and I think Russo was in the dark about that), then Frank could have "persuaded" (carrot and stick) Russo to keep Frank's involvement out of his confession.

14. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I meant the dog killing scene. Sorry, I did not mean to be obscure.

15. nirisahn

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    You weren't being obscure. I just don't have that good of a memory. By episode 5 I've already forgetten episode 1. But just you're mentioning it, I now remember it. Thank you.

16. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Finally finished this last night. My question is was it a plan from the start or evolving along the way. For example when he lost the bill because his wife sabotaged him, was that an expected outcome. If so what would been the scenario if the bill passed.
    Having the bill fail causes him to have a blowup with the wife where she leaves town and she seems to immediately return once Peter is found dead. This seems a little too convenient.

What do you guys think?

I can see how the ending provided a good scenario for both directions of cancelled and renewed.

17. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I think Frank planned -- when he first started helping Russo -- to eventually cause Russo to self-destruct so that Frank could persuade the VP to run for gov and then Frank would have a shot at VP.

I do not think Frank planned to kill Russo until just before he did it. Frank just planned to get him drunk, embarrassed, and then have Russo drop out of the race.

I do not think Frank planned to have the bill fail. But it was not a large part of his plan either way -- Frank could have continued with his plans even after it failed. The big unexpected development that Frank did not plan for was that Russo was going to confess to everything, thus implicating Frank.

The bad part of the last few episodes is that I think Frank could have "persuaded" Russo to keep quiet about Frank's involvement. The stick would be to reveal to Russo's girlfriend about all of his prostitutes. The carrot would be that Frank could promise Russo that he would instigate a new bill to get jobs for Russo's constituents. This seems like it would be likely to work on Russo, and Frank would know that. It was out of character for Frank to murder Russo.

18. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I'm intrigued by Doug.

He's seems a lot more tortured by what he and Frank are doing than Frank is. He worked to keep a poker face by Frank's "confession" about the murder but he was stunned. And I think he really cared about Rachel (not in an icky way) and I bet it tore him up to send her back down that road. (Or were they keeping her around specifically to have an avenue of destruction?)

19. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Doug seems to have the ability to be as nasty as Frank. Remember the first encounter with Rachel he paid her, twice. Then he used her again to **** up Russo.

20. nirisahn

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    Just finished 1st season of BBC version. So far, the main points match up, including the murder we all thought was over the line.